Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I'm getting a little closer to picking up a Thunderbird. I've been looking at them for some time now and plan on it being my next bike. Test rode one also. Just waiting for the title to my Honda in the mail so I can sell it. The only negative I'm looking at now is the closest dealer is about 3 hours away in Atlanta. While this is certainly not a deal breaker, has this been a problem for anyone? Guess I'm just getting antsy, can't wait for my new ride. Patience never has been one of strong points.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Not for me. My dealer is 7 miles away and there are 2 more within 25 miles. That would be a consideration but not a deal breaker for me. Is there an independent shop where you can get minor service done?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure. I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty either. If I had a local Truimph dealer they would probably get tired of seeing me.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Yup - only 10 minutes up the road down here in Miami - it's nice to have the dealership close by for any parts that I need.

·
Registered
684 Posts
ALgetaway I see you found your way here from HSN. Welcome.

My local dealer is roughly 7 or 8 miles away I'd guess. I never clocked it. So I'm pretty lucky. Still the Thunderbird is worth buying even if you've got a long haul to the closest dealer. The bike is that good.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Closest dealer is about 20 miles from me. The dealer I bought from is 60 miles away. I've been buying parts and had the first service done at the selling dealer. Tried to buy "local", but they treated me like crap.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Mine is 10 minutes tops - he gets to see me often. He carries a pretty big inventory which I enjoy admiring. I still think a Rocket would be nice!

·
Registered
23 Posts
all my dealers are at least 2 hrs away-kind of a hassel,but with a good qulity bike not too many visits are needed,they will pick up and deliver if needed for a fee of about $200.00,but when they do that it takes a whole month to get it back

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Wouldn't D and D Cycles in Pensacola be closer for you? They are my nearest dealership, approx. 2 hour ride. It has only been an issue when I have to leave the bike but that has only happened a couple of times. If you can trailer your bike to them and have an appointment they are good to get the work done while you wait. They have been good to mail parts to me when I work on the old Triumph, too.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's about the same distance. Really just waiting now for my Shadow to sell. Kind of frustrating, haven't had any interest so far.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Surprisingly, Sioux Falls does not have a Triumph dealership. So I was forced drive a bit, but I'm not too worried in the long run.

From Sioux Falls, SD... there is Fargo (ND) Indian and Triumph @ 3.5 hours; Belle Plain (MN) Motorsports @ 3.5 hours; and Baxter Cycle in Marne, IA, @ 3 hours away.

Thanks to my job (claims adjuster), over the past 2 years I have visited all three places multiple times and tested the waters for trade in values, customer service ability/sincerity, etc, etc. All three would have made good dealerships to work with but Baxter Cycle in Marne, IA, just seemed to WANT my business. There was nothing wrong with the other two but Baxter seemed to be the place for me (plus, I'm an Iowa guy have been raised in Storm Lake, IA :D ).

No short jaunt for me!!! But worth the trip for the bikes and service.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts