Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Do you like the look of a new Tiger 900??

9K views 51 replies 28 participants last post by  Aj3 
#1 · (Edited)
OK. May be it is just me, but I just cant stand a new look of a new Tiger 900. I am pretty sure it is a sweet bike with improved handling, less weight etc... But to me it lost that nice unique distinctive look Tiger was famous for. Now it looks like another Africa with V-Strom lines. I remember when I was contemplating between Tiger and Africa I picked the Tiger since I just loved how it looked. Now, its not a Tiger. It looks like a darn duck! May be it will grow on me but as of now I just cant stand it.

#8 ·
I like what I've seen in pictures so far, especially graphics wise and in white.
I just paid off my fully kitted '15 XRx though: it's all the bike I could ask for. I'll be spending my money maintaining and riding my current herd, thank you.
Sometimes you just have to understand the temptation for the new and shiny rabbit hole for what it is. I'll probably be worn out before any of my bikes are. I'm glad Triumph is giving BMW and KTM a run for their money.

Reactions: Steve Ford
#9 ·
i think it looks pretty nice actually. I'd like something a little less heavy than the Explorer next time, so it would definitely be in the running. I always thought the 955 was pig ugly (but a great bike) I put 63000 miles on mine before I sold it

#11 ·
Still waiting to see it in the flesh. was going to drop in to my local dealer last weekend but it ws closed when I got there.

Going to reserve judgement for the moment, but I bought a 955i because I liked the look of it over other similar styled bikes.

#13 ·
I am curious about how it carries its weight. I had an 800 roadie for a while and it was quite agile (or agile enough). When I gave the 1200 a test ride, I was.....concerned. It was a pig to turn through the sweepers (comparatively). Not responsive. My friend described it as an experience of "fearing for his life" when it came to turning. A center of gravity thing perhaps? And if so, what would the 900 be like.

#15 ·
I owned a 2014 XC and it was a great bike. I've also spent time riding the 1200 and found it to be a great bike, no issues turning in any environment, slow or fast. Unless someone is coming from a super sport type bike, I have a hard time understanding how someone would call the 1200... Or really any motorcycle, hard to turn. I've owned Bonneville's, a Harley Ultra Classic, I have a BMW K1600GTL, the Tiger etc and I've spent time on many more bikes. None of them are slow or difficult to turn in, I really believe when people say this, either they're comparing it to something that is just not comparable, or really, and I hate to say it, they're not that good of a rider.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

#14 ·
I like the looks, but I love my 800, not sure I could part with it. 2012 Roadie ABS with lots of extras. I am a photographer & use my Tiger to haul my camera gear & I around the PNW. Plus it is my main commuter when it is not snowing or the roads are icy. So I would be hard pressed to change at this point even for the added bells & whistles.

#19 ·
Husqvarna Norden 901 looks like a cool bike I might be switchintg to in the future since Tiger failed to grab my interest so far. Instead of changing its look Triumph should ve invested in creating tubeless rims for its XC model. It was one of the reasons why I switched from XC to XR.

#25 ·
I never liked the looks of the 800 and I think the 9oo is greatly improved in many areas. Styling, weight, frame, and tubeless tyres on some versions. But what facinates me is the new engine.
The new 888cc Tiger 900 is described as having a 'T' plane crank.
For the Ride
Can anybody explain this and tell us why it would be better than an even firing 120 deg triple ?

#34 ·
I never liked the looks of the 800 and I think the 9oo is greatly improved in many areas. Styling, weight, frame, and tubeless tyres on some versions. But what facinates me is the new engine.
The new 888cc Tiger 900 is described as having a 'T' plane crank.
For the Ride
Can anybody explain this and tell us why it would be better than an even firing 120 deg triple ?
Scroll down and read about the new firing order and semi big bang motor.

#35 ·
I never warmed up to any of the new Tigers, but not because of looks. If I can ride and really like my 955i, then almost any bike can pass the "looks test". That bike has to "grow on you" and mine definitely has. I primarily never warmed to the new ones because of all the computerized junk on them. Rider modes, ride by wire.... All adding complications that as a home mechanic, I likely cannot troubleshoot or fix. The 955i is complex enough without all that stuff.
Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Reactions: Steve Ford
#36 ·
Surely looks are the least important factor. Once they’re out and about and we’re used to seeing them they’ll look just as “normal” as the current model. The problem for me lies in the fact that the Tigers have been such great bikes for ever, and especially since 2015 and again in 2018. I have ‘16 XCX and while there have been improvements made and features added (and subtracted), it’s still such a brilliant bike it’s hard to justify getting rid of it. The new one WILL be amazing, no doubt about that, but being 900 and with the changed firing order just might be enough to tip the balance. As for looks, I don’t hate it and if it was sitting in my garage I’m sure I’d smile every time I stepped in there.

#39 ·

Depends on the picture, Its growing on me. Here with spoked wheels and knobbie tires it looks pretty good. My main concern is how well they've addressed the torque. My friend has a Tiger 800 and compared to my Africa Twin under 6000rpm it almost feels like an inline 4, above 6-7000rpm its starts going. On my Africa it pulls from 3000rpm. They would need to have added quite a bit of torque down low to make it an attractive proposition for me. Even my Street Triple felt livelier than the 800 with 125cc less.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.