Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Do you know a good place to stay on Skye?

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  bigD 
#1 ·
I thought I would make use of the collective knowledge of you fine chaps and chappesses. I will be going to Isle of Skye, probably in June, with about half a dozen mates for a couple of nights, and would like to know of any bunkhouses or similar on the island for us to sleep at. B&B is not out of the question, but £30 odd quid a night or more for a hotel is not for us. Anyone got any recommendations?
Failing that, have you got a top place to stay on the West coast to recommend?
Cheers in advance.

#10 ·
Skye B+B's

Whatever you do - don't stay in the "Misty Isle" at Dunvegan - a sh*thole in anybodys language.. The rest of the place is great and well worth a visit - be careful about dates though - it gets packed out over the highland games weekend - hence the reason we ended up in the Misty Isle..

#11 ·
I went up to Skye in 2007 on the Tiger. Prebooked the McKinnon Country House Hotel in Kyleakin (http://www.mackinnonhotel.co.uk/default.asp) I am always a bit cautious about booking a quality hotel and turning up on a motorcycle, but it worked out well.

The owners turned out to be from England and ex Harley Davidson owners. Couldn't have made us more welcome. While we were there another 6 lads on motorcycles turned up to stay as well. From the conversation they were regulars.

I realise a bit more expensive than your budget, but the accomodation, food (and welcome) is excellent.

Chris

#12 ·
Try delving in to the Visit Scotland website and have a trawl in there. there are usually contact details on there that let you get in touch direct with the B & B (cuts out the commision they have to pay to the touris board). Over the years I have found the listings to pretty good & I have only had one bad experience with not being welcome when I have turned up & that was from being sent direct from the tourist office in Oban, the guy was taken off of the listings after I complained & they found us another place really quickly. Skye is a great place to visit on the bike as long as the weather is not horizontal which it can be frequently. last time I was there I stayed in Portree & the woman could not have been nicer (can't remember the name unfortunately). good luck with the search.

D

#13 ·
Skye walker independant bunkhouse.

www.skyewalkerhostel.com

The one and only place to stay in Skye.

The skyewalkers hostel. Owned by two of my biker friends
Brian And Lisa. 5minutes (by bike) to the Talisker Distilery at Carbost

Very friendly and cosy with Scottish folk music nearly every night.
Great beds and showers with good kitchen facilities.

Last time I was there Brian and Lisa hired a GS locally and we went over to Applecross for the day and also the Quirang ridge on Skye)(Peugeot Advert)

If you go to the website have a look at the video section "yooz tubes"

If you contact them tell them Wilf and Les Says hello!

Happy holidays, Ride safe

#14 ·
Thanx for all these, chaps. I'm sure we'll sort something out from this little lot!
Now, who's best to ring to sort out some weather for the trip, or will they already have had some delivered?

#15 ·
Oh yes there will be weather, Skye is good for weather, nearly always has some, can't guarantee what sort it will be but it will be there..... If you don't like what you find when you get there give it 20 minutes & it is likely to change:rolleyes: whatever it's like enjoy the visit.

D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.