Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought my tire to a dealer who told me that you only have to balance the front wheel, not the rear, does anybody disagree with this opinion?

·
Registered
453 Posts
In my experience, the only people that will tell you this are the ones who can't balance the rear because of the big opening for the single sided swingarm.
I went to about 6 different dealers and finally found one who could balance it. It took a little bit of weight so I'm glad I did it.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
does anybody disagree with this opinion?
Hinckley for one, as the rear wheels have balancing weights from the factory.

I have found that many car tyre shops can balance the rear tyre, but non-Triumph motorcycle shops rarely can.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Try a Honda dealer. The VFR is single sided and they should be able to balance that so technically the S3 too.

·
Registered
446 Posts
My stock rear didnt have weight on it, but i have a home balancer (got an adapter for the SSSA wheel) and it was well balanced without it.. the replacement tire did need the weight though. I would agree with the previous posts.... maybe they didnt have the right adapter.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Tire Balancing

They didn't in fact, but the guy wanted to charge me for mounting it and balancing without doing the balancing...

I went to this Honda Dealer nearby my job. The guy was rude to me on the phone and he wouldn't give me a price. It was 3 miles away from my job so I had nothing to lose. I bit my tongue and went down there on my lunch break and the klown wanted me to leave my tire there for several hours and wanted $50 + tax per wheel. I found another place that would do it for $30 without the second trip so I will go there.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I had a similar experience with local shops a couple of years ago. As a result, I've changed my last three tires myself. I balance them using a nice little pocket balancer made and sold by Marc Parnes (google Parnes tire balancer). Parnes sells adapters for the Triumph SSSA wheels. A bonus is that you can buy adapters for almost any bike to work with the Parnes balancer. I use mine to balance the tires on my BMW as well. To make your money for the balancer back, you have to change your tires yourself, but if you didn't want to do that and couldn't find a shop to balance the SSSA wheel, you could always have a shop mount the tire and balance it yourself.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I had a similar experience with local shops a couple of years ago. As a result, I've changed my last three tires myself. I balance them using a nice little pocket balancer made and sold by Marc Parnes (google Parnes tire balancer). Parnes sells adapters for the Triumph SSSA wheels. A bonus is that you can buy adapters for almost any bike to work with the Parnes balancer. I use mine to balance the tires on my BMW as well. To make your money for the balancer back, you have to change your tires yourself, but if you didn't want to do that and couldn't find a shop to balance the SSSA wheel, you could always have a shop mount the tire and balance it yourself.

+1 on the marc parnes stuff. I couldnt remember the name, but that is definitely the setup i used. My father and i split the cost which made it even more cost effective to just do our own.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Try a Honda dealer. The VFR is single sided and they should be able to balance that so technically the S3 too.
I have a VFR. The Honda dealers around here don't balance them either. I mount/balance my own tires but I take the rear to a local auto tire shop to spin balance it. Usually do it for free or a couple of bucks. Alot cheaper than the $100 for the new cones/shaft for my balancer.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I've always had the fronts balanced, but the rear has always been close to balanced without any weights if the dots are lined up with the stem.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I had no luck with the local Honda and Harley dealers, the Yamaha dealer had an adapter that worked for the rear. Everybody said they could do it on the phone then they said "oh, uh, nope" when I got there.

·
Registered
657 Posts
If you have CycleGear store nearby, use them both for mounting and balancing. They usually have excellent equipment and well trained people, and tire prices comparable to anything you find on the web.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I second the cyclequeer for balancing your wheel. I've always been told if a wheel on a motorcycle has a disc brake it needs to be balanced.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Whats a cyclegear store? Seriously, I'm about 1,000,000 miles from nowhere. I'm 150 miles from the nearest Triumph dealer, and I've never seen a Ducati dealership.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Whats a cyclegear store? Seriously, I'm about 1,000,000 miles from nowhere. I'm 150 miles from the nearest Triumph dealer, and I've never seen a Ducati dealership.
Go to cyclegear.com for store locations. I found one in your state:
http://www.cyclegear.com/city_location.cfm?Store=89
It's only 328 miles from you... :)

Looks like the one in Kansas might be closer (only 103 miles)
http://www.cyclegear.com/city_location.cfm?Store=108

The rest of search do by yourself ;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts