Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was looking down at the rider foot peg on my T100 and then wondered how much for a new peg rubber.
Don't know why I wondered but glad I did before I found out the hard way.

Looked it up and what do you know... we have to buy the entire peg to get the rubber for $82.

Really? We have to fork out $82 for complete foot peg when all we need is a new rubber?
Wondering if there's a tube of KY in the package with the peg.

$89 for a $1 Chinese rear view mirror is bad enough but we have alternatives.

I can't find an option to bending over and paying $82 for a peg rubber.

If you think that SUX call Triumph USA at 1-888-284-6288 and tell them that it does.

Hard to support a brand that so royally screws its owners.

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
Businesses can price their wares at whatever they want, their product-their choice, I can chose to buy from them or go elsewhere, its really that simple.
I've had customers/clients tell me that my prices are to high, I usually tell them their free to go else where but this is what it cost in order for me to stay in business and make a profit, something i intend to do if I'm going to run a business.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
It sounds to me like a good opportunity to put on some nice after-market pegs. The stockers are ugly anyway.

Or buy a used pair from someone who has done exactly that.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Businesses can price their wares at whatever they want, their product-their choice, I can chose to buy from them or go elsewhere, its really that simple.
I've had customers/clients tell me that my prices are to high, I usually tell them their free to go else where but this is what it cost in order for me to stay in business and make a profit, something i intend to do if I'm going to run a business.
Having owned businesses there is...

making any profit... making A profit... making sufficient profit... making a living... making a lot of profit... making insane profit... and GOUGING your customers by paying your rent on one parts sale.

As I said, the $1 Chinese mirror for $89 doesn't bug me cause there are multitudes of other mirrors to buy a reasonable prices.

I won't buy a battery, tires, chain, or sprockets from the dealer but a hard wearing part like a peg rubber is something we'll all need sooner or later. HD, who sets the bar for predatory pricing in the MC industry gets $7.99 for a peg rubber and $11.99 for a complete peg with rubber and they are losing market share.

I have no problem with Triumph wanting $250 for a center stand or $300 for gel seat.
That's still pretty pricey but I can say no and do without.

$82 for an entire foot peg when just the rubber is a wearing part and will need to be replaced is simply ripping off Triumph owners in a GRAND manner. There are other parts that are WAY overpriced but damn, $82 for a foot peg and we can't just buy the rubber?

The foot peg alternatives I've found are all radically different designs from the OEM peg and there are complaints of them breaking.

This kind of predatory pricing gives insight into the business model that Triumph has adopted and that does not bode well for either the company or Triumph owners down the road.

I'd rather ride my Triumph and go to the local dealer when I need stuff instead of looking for any other option than the dealer.

The bottom line is you/we either take it or vote with our wallets.

There's no doubt that motorcycles are addictive but a foot peg is not insulin or an Eppi pen and Triumph is not a drug company but they want to enjoy big pharma profits from their loyal customers.

Greed succeeds when customers do nothing. Give Triumph a call and tell them you love your bike but their parts pricing is unacceptable. The call is free and Triumph needs to wake up or we'll be waiting for the third coming of the brand.

·
Banned
976 Posts
Its 70$ for 4 if you buy from guangzhou might be same **** quality pot metal as the OEM items if youre lucky!

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Read the “Other parts that fit our bikes” thread, there are alternatives listed there. There’s an Emgo part number for Yamahas that work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Read the “Other parts that fit our bikes” thread, there are alternatives listed there. There’s an Emgo part number for Yamahas that work.

As I said "The foot peg alternatives I've found are all radically different designs from the OEM peg and there are complaints of them breaking".

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Fair enough on the design, the ones I purchased are just a silver peg but do not resemble the stock set. As for them breaking, I’m over 200lbs full gear and have been using them for at least 4 years.

·
Registered
435 Posts
In the same boat. Foot peg rubber worn almost down to the metal.

I too like the OEM pegs....featuring the Triumph logo inset in to the rubber. Not sure if this works on other bikes, but I swapped my (driver) peg rubber for the unworn pillion peg rubber. Easy enough, retained by two screws, and they match exactly! Gives me some extra time to maintain the OEM look while I pursue alternative options.

Appreciate input on other sources of supply (for rubber part only) from others.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Answering my own question after a brief search.....

...located two sources that would seem to fit for me:

2WheelPros.com and bikebandit

Manuf. Part #4 T2080714 $7.85 plus S&H

Item # OEM771530

Sorry...no joy for T100 owners :( Didn't realize Bony pegs are different to Thruxton pegs!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I'd put a WTB in our classifieds, you might find someone who's replaced their pegs who's willing to let the originals on their shelf go.
I'm not wanting to treat the symptom... my intention in posting was to cure the disease and that seems to be getting lost in the forum.

It's not the price of the foot peg it's Triumph's big pharma parts pricing in general.

Looking forward to not needing to buy Triumph parts ever again.

·
Driftless Admin
11,665 Posts
Funny, I just got out a meeting and I was telling the folks that problem solving was so much less fun then reveling in the problem. In a perfect world you can hold off pointing out the problem until after it can no longer be fixed, and then complain with impunity endlessly. But with you I see I am preaching to the choir :doublethumb

Sorry for your pain, enjoy you next brand of bike, assuming you can find a brand without expensive replacement parts.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Funny, I just got out a meeting and I was telling the folks that problem solving was so much less fun then reveling in the problem. In a perfect world you can hold off pointing out the problem until after it can no longer be fixed, and then complain with impunity endlessly. But with you I see I am preaching to the choir :doublethumb

Sorry for your pain, enjoy you next brand of bike, assuming you can find a brand without expensive replacement parts.
HD sportster peg rubber + $7.99 and complete peg with peg rubber = $11.99

That's just a quick search of a company known for price gouging on parts.

·
Premium Member
2,390 Posts
I replaced my oem pegs with SW-Motech bear-trap style for bonneville. These are adjustable height and the rubber is removable for off-road grippage.

This thread details why I made this change but it was basically b/c of the reports of failing oem pegs on the bonne models (either the welded bolt or the casting).

https://www.triumphrat.net/9005081-post54.html

·
Driftless Admin
11,665 Posts
HD sportster peg rubber + $7.99 and complete peg with peg rubber = $11.99

Awesome, I almost bought a sportster once. Hope you enjoy it.

I dropped mine on the test drive (in my defense it was the first time I had ever ridden a bike, not sure why the sales guy let me). I didn't buy it, the engine cover was all scratched up :)

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Awesome, I almost bought a sportster once. Hope you enjoy it.

I dropped mine on the test drive (in my defense it was the first time I had ever ridden a bike, not sure why the sales guy let me). I didn't buy it, the engine cover was all scratched up :)
Actually by 2007 HD had the Sportster right on the money. FI, rubber mounted engine, belt drive, hydraulic lifters and resale value that most other brands only dream of. Proof that if you give a company long enough they'll figure anything out.

BTW... while on my 2007 XL883 I saw many a Bonneville in my rear view mirrors but that might have been that Triumph riders around here talk a better ride they can actually ride.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I replaced my oem pegs with SW-Motech bear-trap style for bonneville. These are adjustable height and the rubber is removable for off-road grippage
I don't need a peg rubber now. It's that I will.

That said, I have come across these and at $150 a pair hardly a better deal that a stock peg and they don't seem to make a replacement rubber available.

And again... I'm not wanting to treat the symptom... my intention in posting was to cure the disease and that seems to be getting lost in the forum.

It's not the price of the foot peg it's Triumph's big pharma parts pricing in general.

·
Premium Member
2,390 Posts
I don't need a peg rubber now. It's that I will.

That said, I have come across these and at $150 a pair hardly a better deal that a stock peg and they don't seem to make a replacement rubber available.

And again... I'm not wanting to treat the symptom... my intention in posting was to cure the disease and that seems to be getting lost in the forum.

"Hardly a better deal"? Think about that when your stock peg lets got at 70 mph! That is why I changed mine...the stockers on the Bonneville (not Scram and likely not so much the Thrux) fail at the welded head screw on the fork bracket or at the casting for the peg itself. Just search these forums for the horror stories. They are a menace and shame on Triumph for not recalling them. There is enough to worry about while riding our bikes...failing foot pegs should not be one of them (same for failing 204 K&N Wrench Off oil filters).

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
"Hardly a better deal"? Think about that when your stock peg lets got at 70 mph! That is why I changed mine...the stockers on the Bonneville (not Scram and likely not so much the Thrux) fail at the welded head screw on the fork bracket or at the casting for the peg itself. Just search these forums for the horror stories. They are a menace and shame on Triumph for not recalling them. There is enough to worry about while riding our bikes...failing foot pegs should not be one of them (same for failing 204 K&N Wrench Off oil filters).
RE: failing K&N 204 oil filters... you choose to use aftermarket parts and your recourse is with them
I have not read of a failed Triumph OEM oil filter and they are reasonably priced at about $15.

If and when a peg failed and caused me injury or damage to the bike I would deal with that product liability on Triumph's part.

Posters continue to miss the point... a peg rubber is a consumable part and should be available at a reasonable price.
At the least a complete peg with rubber shouldn't cost $82 or a $1 Chinese plastic mirror cost $89

Wonder through Triumph parts pricing and your eyes will pop out.

Don't confuse brand loyalty and the love you have for your bike with your willing ness for your beloved manufacturer to stick it up your a$$ when you need a part.

Triumphs thinks its customers exist for its convenience. We can be part of the solution if we let Triumph know that we are unhappy with parts prices or continue to bend over and invest in some Preparation H which, BTW, is very reasonably priced.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts