Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a 2019 Speed Twin. I was checking out the "Speed Twin Parts" thread on here and I notice that a number of you have installed those mini wind deflectors from the Thruxton on your Speed Twins. I believe I have attached a pic; I am new to this forum so I am not sure if it worked.

I was riding home from a friend's place last night and the traffic was moving between 120-140kmh on the freeway and the windblast on my helmet was starting to get on my nerves. I wear an Arai Rx-7 too so I can't do much better aerodynamics-wise than that.

I love the look of my Speed Twin so I don't want to change it too much. So, if those tiny deflectors work, I'd like to get one. If they are more for style, I will pass. I'd love to hear from those that have installed them.

Attachments

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have one and it works a bit. You’re still going to get a fair blast of wind when your speed increases. It moves the wind higher up so you’ll prob get it up around your neck / helmet as opposed to your chest.
To be honest I like how it looks but my main reason for keeping it is that it’s so much easier to clean up the flies than digging them out from between the clocks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wind deflectors

I have a 2017 Bonneville T100 with a dealer-installed windscreen. I found that was not enough to keep the wind off my head and throat. So I installed an X-creen add - on windscreen, and with a little adjustment, it keeps the wind off me quite well. I can sympathize with you about how fatiguing the wind turbulence can be when at even moderate speeds.

Dave W.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have one and it works a bit. You’re still going to get a fair blast of wind when your speed increases. It moves the wind higher up so you’ll prob get it up around your neck / helmet as opposed to your chest.
To be honest I like how it looks but my main reason for keeping it is that it’s so much easier to clean up the flies than digging them out from between the clocks.
I like how they look too. But, I don't want to spend money on one unless it improves the airflow because I like how my bike looks without one even more.

Is it just me or is the Speed Twin particularly bad in terms of airflow even for a naked bike? I used to help maintain a private bike collection, not a job, just for fun. I had access to a number of cool bikes that I used to take for rides regularly. Some of these included a a 1969 Bonneville T120, Norton Commando 750, Moto Guzzi V7 Sport, and a Laverda Jota 180. I don't remember any of these bikes blasting air at my helmet as much as my Speed Twin does, and the Laverda was quite fast too.

I recently test rode a Suzuki GSX-S1000 and it was quite comfortable on the freeway. Also, a mega-underrated bike. It is such a good bike.

Sometimes I wonder if it is because I seem to be sitting so close to the headlight just by the nature of the bike? I am 5'11" by the way.

Maybe it's just in my head? It probably is.

·
Registered
225 Posts
It’s mostly an aesthetic choice for me. I’d say the air is a bit higher and cleaner but if the wind by your head is what’s nothing you it probably won’t have any effect.

You might consider the marlin screen from dart. The mounts aren’t as cleanly integrated but it’s not windshield sized and could be larger enough to have a more perceptible difference.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have a T120 and I tried on the motorway several times with and without deflector, can't really feel any difference.
Good to know. I guess I will pass on the deflector. Time to toughen up a bit! Thanks to everybody for the feedback!

·
Registered
560 Posts
I found the Dart Marlin to be effective in reducing rider fatigue. It takes quite a bit of pressure off my chest but the wind hits the top 1-2 inches of my helmet. In the colder temps it gets installed. 5'11" as well.

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
Is it just me or is the Speed Twin particularly bad in terms of airflow even for a naked bike?
Yes. Yes it is.
It’s not just you although some people don’t mind getting beat up by the wind. I do. I doubt there’s much difference between a T120 and a ST, which has a bit more aggressive riding position. In my experience, the fly screen doesn’t do squat, nor does the Longhaul, which probably isn’t offered for the ST. If you don’t want to get beat up by the wind, get a high enough screen that doesn’t also cause buffeting, which is difficult for these small bikes. Or get a different bike. Like a Street Glide.

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
I like what the Triumph flyscreen did for my T-120. It cleaned up and focused the air very well and now the wind hits me mid chest but I am 6'4". It made the bike a good 500 mile per day bike as opposed to the 300 miles and tire kind of bike. It particularly good when running into a headwind.

·
Registered
266 Posts
The Dart Marlin didn't work for my on my T120. I'm 5'9 and it directed the air straight to my helmet. Very loud wind noise and turbulent.
I now have a Long Haul screen just for long rides, and I added a Puig extender - works like a charm!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi All,

I have a 2019 Speed Twin. I was checking out the "Speed Twin Parts" thread on here and I notice that a number of you have installed those mini wind deflectors from the Thruxton on your Speed Twins. I believe I have attached a pic; I am new to this forum so I am not sure if it worked.

I was riding home from a friend's place last night and the traffic was moving between 120-140kmh on the freeway and the windblast on my helmet was starting to get on my nerves. I wear an Arai Rx-7 too so I can't do much better aerodynamics-wise than that.

I love the look of my Speed Twin so I don't want to change it too much. So, if those tiny deflectors work, I'd like to get one. If they are more for style, I will pass. I'd love to hear from those that have installed them.
I put a 1/4 fairing on. Got the unpainted for about $300 from Japan. Wind hits about half way up my helmet
https://www.samurider.com/?cat=259

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi All,

I have a 2019 Speed Twin. I was
checking out the "Speed Twin Parts" thread on here and I notice that a number of you have installed those mini wind deflectors from the Thruxton on your Speed Twins. I believe I have attached a pic; I am new to this forum so I am not sure if it worked

I put a 1/4 fairing on. Got the unpainted for about $300 from Japan. Wind hits about half way up my helmet
https://www.samurider.com/?cat=259
https://www.samurider.com/wp-content/uploads/chic00761.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Or get a different bike. Like a Street Glide.
^^^^That's a cheap shot.

Thanks for the other feedback everybody. I really appreciate it. I think I will just deal with the wind. I have good earplugs and a very aerodynamic helmet.

It's not that I can't take it, I was just hoping that one of those small deflectors would make a difference. I previously rode a Ducati 998 and even though it had a short screen, it was comfortably up to 160kmh.

I bought the Speed Twin for style mostly and I want to keep that style. I will deal with the wind.

·
Registered
905 Posts
It’s not just you although some people don’t mind getting beat up by the wind. I do. I doubt there’s much difference between a T120 and a ST, which has a bit more aggressive riding position. In my experience, the fly screen doesn’t do squat, nor does the Longhaul, which probably isn’t offered for the ST. If you don’t want to get beat up by the wind, get a high enough screen that doesn’t also cause buffeting, which is difficult for these small bikes. Or get a different bike. Like a Street Glide.
The wind blast on the Speed Twin is significantly worse then it was on the Street Twin. Why, I have no idea, but it is. The little fly screens don’t do much at all to help with it. I have no idea how else you can address bad aerodynamics but I’d love to know.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I found the Dart Marlin to be effective in reducing rider fatigue. It takes quite a bit of pressure off my chest but the wind hits the top 1-2 inches of my helmet. In the colder temps it gets installed. 5'11" as well.
Get a Dart Flyscreen.
First watch Stuart Fillingham's video on installing a Dart on his T120.
Second, ignore Stuart's rant on installation and quality; insatallation is a chich and Dart quality is as good as everyone (except Stuart) says. I love Stuart's vids, but you have to put up with his cranky gripes. The Dart flyscreen is equal or better than Triumph offerings and MUCH less expensive.
There are hundreds of picture posts of the Dart Flyscreen installed on Bonnies. I think they enhance the look...sure made my T120 Black look finished!
I just completed a 500 mile blast through the mountains between Anchorage and Homer, Alaska. Mostly at 65 MPH, but plenty of overtakes at 80-90 and a few sprints to tripple digits in passing lanes.
The dart GREATLY improves the tiring blast on your chest. You'll always get full wind (and noise) on your helmet unless you go for a FULL windscreen; but NOEONE puts those on their Bonnies!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The Dart Marlin looks like it might be worth a try - it's cheap enough that I am willing to gamble. Plus, it looks like a piece of cake to take on and off.

·
Registered
440 Posts
My 865 Bonny was the worst naked bike I've ridden for wind blast.

I find my Speed Twin quite acceptable in comparison and (slightly) better than the T120

1 - 20 of 25 Posts