Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I need a centerstand or is a motorcycle jack from Harbor Freight good enough? Thinking about the one from TecBikePartsUSA.com

Is it difficult to put the bike on the centerstand?

Is there a downside to having a centerstand? Do they drag on curves?

I would be using the centerstand for oiling the chain and hope I don't need it to remove a wheel to repair a flat.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
HF has the jacks on sale now and NO
You don't NEED a center stand/
I like them too but your better off
just using a jack. Less weight.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
:) In my long experience, once your bike has a centre stand, you'll wonder how the hell you ever managed without one! As has been said, the jack that is in your garage is no good when you need to take either wheel out 2000 miles away!

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I also wouldn't be without one...there's ease-of-maintenance of course (even simple stuff like wiping out the wheels), but my personal main reason is peace-of-mind when parking. It is so stable on the stand one would need a running start to knock it over, and even then it might take a couple of tries. The bike also takes up a little less space in the garage against the wall (I have limited garage space and during the winter the Grand Cherokee goes in there, so this is a good thing). :cool:

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I also wouldn't be without one...there's ease-of-maintenance of course (even simple stuff like wiping out the wheels), but my personal main reason is peace-of-mind when parking. It is so stable on the stand one would need a running start to knock it over, and even then it might take a couple of tries. The bike also takes up a little less space in the garage against the wall (I have limited garage space and during the winter the Grand Cherokee goes in there, so this is a good thing). :cool:
+1, same here.

Plasma.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Never felt a need for a center stand. Very few applications are they usable in comparison to a jack.

1) I can't change a back tire with a center stand (still have my full back fender). 2)I can use the jack to clean the bike and really get it up in the air. I don't have to sit on the floor. 3)I'm not lugging around all the extra weight with something used maybe 1% of the time 4) I'm lowered 1" so I don't want to worry about scraping

Had my bike come with a stand, yeah, I'd probably use it. But I'd never be without a jack. I do too much wrenching on my bike. No one else touches it. So when it comes to cost vs use, it's not even a choice. A jack is an inexpensive necessity.

Besides, there already exists a weightless tire repair kit out there. I use AAA. Cheaper than a stand too (for at least the first few years)

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
My 2012 Bonnie came with a center stand and I use it all the time.
It makes lubing the chain extremely easy, especially when on a multi-day trip where a jack is not available.
I took my tank off to connect a gps wire and the center stand kept it solid and level.
The only downside to the center stand is it bounces around when you hit a big bump.
I fixed that by putting a length of velcro around it and the frame, total cost 10 cents.
If the bike didn't come with one, I probably would not have purchased one only because I would have thought I didn't need it, but since I have one and used it many times, I can't picture myself without one.
A center stand is a tool just like the jack, they both serve a specific purpose where the other just won't do, get both, you will use them.
I can't change the oil using the jack because it gets in the way of the catch basin, but the center stand works great.
They both have their places.
Just my opinion.

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
Do you need a center stand? No.

Do you want a center stand? YES!!!

One of my first Mods. I don't have garage and floor jacks are a little difficult to roll around on gravel. Always have a couple of extra pieces of cardboard for when I have to sit in the gravel to work on or clean my bike.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Another +1, especially peace of mind, except that my Bonnie shares space with a Rocket 3 Touring and without that centerstand it would be difficult to get to either bike.

·
Registered
89 Posts
+ 1 on the center stand. It took about 20 minutes to install the centerstand on my T100. I also have a jack, but it's much easier and really quick to put the bike up on the centerstand. It's pretty stable for routine maintenance, cleaning, and chain lubing.

I have the techbike centerstand.

Note: if you buy this stand, you must remove that little cannister thingy to install. The instructions don't mention this. Just a couple of bolts. No biggie.

Also, my sidestand rubbed the centerstand, so a couple of passes with the dremel and some spray-on bed liner were needed. About a five minute job.

The centerstand was a good purchase.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
This debate has been well documented in past threads. If you are a tourer and/or don't have a garage then a centre stand probably has a purpose. If you have the skills and carry the gear to change a flat tyre then a centre stand is useful. Otherwise a paddock stand or jack will allow you to perform all the maintenance you need at home. Otherwise why drag around a stand where ever you go? Its a heavy addition to the bike. I have had centre stands on previous bikes and whilst they were useful, I did not need them. My thruxton is for spirited riding so I try to reduce weight as much as possible. I would be less concerned with weight reduction with a tourer or a commuter.

·
Registered
842 Posts
+ 1 on the center stand. It took about 20 minutes to install the centerstand on my T100. I also have a jack, but it's much easier and really quick to put the bike up on the centerstand. It's pretty stable for routine maintenance, cleaning, and chain lubing.

I have the techbike centerstand.

Note: if you buy this stand, you must remove that little cannister thingy to install. The instructions don't mention this. Just a couple of bolts. No biggie.

Also, my sidestand rubbed the centerstand, so a couple of passes with the dremel and some spray-on bed liner were needed. About a five minute job.

The centerstand was a good purchase.
What do you need for the installation? Found the stand for about $100. Sounds like it's a simple procedure. Assuming you need a jack?

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
. . . . The only downside to the center stand is it bounces around when you hit a big bump. . . .
Assuming a OEM center stand, this is a sure sign that the stand was incorrectly installed. There are two retracting springs in the kit. It can be a real PIA to install them correcty, one inside the other, but this has to be done or the stand will extend with every bump, striking sparks from the pavement. A lot of people gave up and installed a single spring, not realizing the importance of two.

I made a simple pulley arrangement using a frame member and nylon rope to install the kit's springs. This made the job fast and easy.

I can't imagine being without a center stand; it's just too useful.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
This debate has been well documented in past threads. If you are a tourer and/or don't have a garage then a centre stand probably has a purpose. If you have the skills and carry the gear to change a flat tyre then a centre stand is useful. Otherwise a paddock stand or jack will allow you to perform all the maintenance you need at home. Otherwise why drag around a stand where ever you go? Its a heavy addition to the bike. I have had centre stands on previous bikes and whilst they were useful, I did not need them. My thruxton is for spirited riding so I try to reduce weight as much as possible. I would be less concerned with weight reduction with a tourer or a commuter.
Everything Aussiematt said plus 1,000. Especially the first sentence.:D

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had the Triumph stand on my T100 as part of the 'free' 2012 accessories pack. It came off the bike very soon into my ownership as it was constantly grounding out and scaring wife on the back. Not been a problem since and great to have the better ground clearance.

Was not easy to pull up on it either.

Maintenence is no issue using a jack at home,, and I aint gonna fix a flat at the roadside . Thats what a phone and recovery insurance is for :)

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I'm on the fence with this debate because PO installed centerstand.

Would I install one if it wasn't there? Nope.

Do I find it handy since it is there? Yup.

It's a few extra pounds on a bike that doesn't need any more weight, but it doesn't drag in corners so it's staying.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I have several Triumph history books and note that from time to time, the sidestand was optional. The centerstand was standard.

We tour a lot. I find my centerstand very useful. Getting a loaded bike on and off the centerstand is a skill. Often a centerstand offers a more stable parking option. I'm glad I put one on.

Regards, Chuck

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
+1 on the center stand. I bought my bike used and the previous owner had installed one. I would have purchased one anyway. I've been a big fan since the Vespa VLX 150.

·
Registered
53 Posts
majority of my previous bikes have all had centerstands - I planned on putting one on but have not done it yet and am really in no hurry to. it is nice for parking them upright and taking up less room in the garage., but....

I have a basic mc jack that works fine for cleaning and getting the wheels off the ground.

if I was a dedicated *chain luber* kinda guy I probably wood, but I'm one of those WD40 fellas ;-)

1 - 20 of 117 Posts