Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Uh-oh, newbie ignorance alert...
Under the engine number is stamped: T100R. The title shows displacement at 650cc. The guy I bought it from thought it's a 650. What gives?

·
Registered
482 Posts
A T100R (Daytona) has a 500cc engine so something is wrong with the title document. Better check the frame and engine number matches the title document. All nuts and bolts by then were UNF so A/F spanners are all you should need.

·
Registered
348 Posts
the only thing need to make sure is right is the vin # on title and on frame. engine number can very because engine could have been changed out.

what the f$$% happened to the paint? or did you hit a deer!

·
Registered
348 Posts
what i ment with my statement is the vin # on title and on frame have to match. the engine # number dosen't have to because some one could have put a different 500 cc barrel/case on it or and entire new engine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
the only thing need to make sure is right is the vin # on title and on frame. engine number can very because engine could have been changed out.

what the f$$% happened to the paint? or did you hit a deer!
Alas, no road-kill, but rather some @$#^! vandal maliciously trashed this poor bike. I expect to bring this whatever displacement bike back to former splendor in '09.
I bought a 650 gasket set in prep to work on it. Dang it, I guess I'll need to find a 500cc set, they aren't interchangeable, are they? I would suppose not. Anyone interested in a complete gasket set for a 650?

·
Registered
970 Posts
I am sure it is a late 500cc bike. ( I am looking for one myself :) ) having just put my BMW up for sale.

Just as an aside ... You will be hard pressed to find anything that fits a spanner with a Whitworth thread on it (from any year), BSF (plus the odd cycle thread), on the other hand abound on the older bikes :)

·
Registered
625 Posts
back to your original question ...

Yes, you will need some whitworth tools. Even with the 'go American' initiative of '69, the 50s never lost touch with their British roots. There aren't a lot of things left on it in Whitworth sizes, but I'd say a basic spanner set at a minimum will be needed. The good news is that the Brits were pretty smart and most places where you have a bolt / nut setup, the bolt head and the nut are different sizes so one set of wrenches will do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts