Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Tiger 750 that I'm restoring has some moderate "pull back" or "Baby Ape Hanger" handlebars on it. I like the look of them, and they're gonna stay on the bike. :)

The DUMMY who owned the bike before me, and presumably added the handlebars, did it without using longer cables or brake hose; he used what was already there.

To make the brake hose fit, he unbolted the fitting from the triple tree and STRAIGHTENED OUT the brake hard line that goes down the fork, :eek: generally making a mess of things. There's a good 10" of hard line sticking up above the triple tree, waving around unsupported in midair.

Now it's time to undo his kludge job.

New, longer clutch and throttle cables have been procured.

The stock upper brake hose measures about 12" long. I was amazed to find that by my measurements (and a little bit of guestimation) the required hose with these bars is in the 22" - 24" range!

I'm not seeing anyone offering hydraulic brake hoses that long with Triumph friendly fittings on it.

Does anybody know of a source?

If not... can somebody reccommend someone who can make up a custom brake line? Hopefully, for a reasonable price!

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
3,989 Posts
I presume you mean the brake-hose from the master cylinder to the top yoke. 60-4176 US spec high handle-bars.
If this is no good:
http://www.moorescyclecenter.com/response1.asp?partID=hyd
I`d suggest going to a hydraulic outlet and asking if they can make one.
I had an issue with the front-brake plumbing...I needed a straight M/C connection, (no banjo) and a very short hose. And I needed to fit an hydraulic brake switch.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Make your own - its quite easy to do. I have made up my own brake (and oil) lines for my T140 and Norton.

Parts from here; http://www.goodridge.net/uk/motorcycle.htm there is a link to a PDF catalogue.

600-03 hose and fittings are suitable for brake lines. Get stainless fittings - more expensive but they last forever. Also worth getting a couple of spare olives so you can have a second go at making the end off if it isnt right first time.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I also have a 750 and wanted to ditch the multi piece rubber/hardline setup with a one piece stainless hose from caliper to lever.I went to a supply house and they made me one on the spot .Lots less places to leak with a one piece hose and the brake lever feel was much improved.
here's the place i went
Industrial liquidators
4887 Convoy St
San Diego CA 92121
858 278 3455

here's what they sold me
1 part #761503
1 part #997634
1 part # 63010126 (I believe that was the hose,the others were the end fittings)
good luck,the total cost was about 25$

1 - 4 of 4 Posts