Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....from an '07 fit an '06? And if so, do they sound significantly better than a set of TORS?

·
Registered
379 Posts
....from an '07 fit an '06? And if so, do they sound significantly better than a set of TORS?
yes they should fit since they are a slip on exhaust that works with the stock midpipe....and yes they sound 100% better than the TORS as they are made from Titanium and have a removable baffle. the arrows will gain you horsepower and torque as the TORs will not simply because they are a stock exhaust punched out to deliver more sound, they still have the CATs and are a waste of money in IMO

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Yes, they will fit if we are talking about the new style titanium cans. If you are talking about the older style round long Arrows, they will fit also but require the new 08+ midpipe kit.

Most benefit on Arrows is from the saved weight, but otherwise the sound is not that much different from other straight through cans like TORs. Maybe a bit more raspy.

the arrows will gain you horsepower and torque as the TORs will not simply because they are a stock exhaust punched out to deliver more sound, they still have the CATs and are a waste of money in IMO
Same power & torque with Arrows when using Hinckley supplied dual can tunes. Less power down low if using Arrow midpipe.

Also TORs do not have any catalyzer mesh or none of the flanged the stock cans have. They are just as good aftermarket cans as any performance-wise. Main restriction on old 1050s is the precat and on later bikes the stock midpipe; it does not matter that much what kind of cans come after these on the exhaust flow.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yes, they will fit if we are talking about the new style titanium cans. If you are talking about the older style round long Arrows, they will fit also but require the new 08+ midpipe kit.

Most benefit on Arrows is from the saved weight, but otherwise the sound is not that much different from other straight through cans like TORs. Maybe a bit more raspy.

Same power & torque with Arrows when using Hinckley supplied dual can tunes. Less power down low if using Arrow midpipe.

Also TORs do not have any catalyzer mesh or none of the flanged the stock cans have. They are just as good aftermarket cans as any performance-wise. Main restriction on old 1050s is the precat and on later bikes the stock midpipe; it does not matter that much what kind of cans come after these on the exhaust flow.
not trying to be a jerk,but why do they have adifferent tune for the dual arrows?

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
To my knowledge they don't. One main tune for all highmount duals and a separate main tune for Arrow 3-1. And then the SAI/nonSAI/Brazil etc. variants of these 2 main tunes.
http://www.tuneboy.com.au/TuneDownloads/TunesTriumph.html

The older TORs tune for plastic tank bikes is just a prehistoric version of this same tune. For later steel tank 1050s the Highmount/TORs/Arrow dual tune are one and the same.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have myself bought the dual arrows from an 08 model.
they will certainly fit... There is only "1" part number for that exhaust... and doesn t mention any "year"...

I guess that is 2005 up.

Best regards,
Flavio

·
Registered
120 Posts
To my knowledge they don't. One main tune for all highmount duals and a separate main tune for Arrow 3-1. And then the SAI/nonSAI/Brazil etc. variants of these 2 main tunes.
http://www.tuneboy.com.au/TuneDownloads/TunesTriumph.html

The older TORs tune for plastic tank bikes is just a prehistoric version of this same tune. For later steel tank 1050s the Highmount/TORs/Arrow dual tune are one and the same.
what do the dual arrows or tors with proper tune offer over the stock pipes in terms of torque and horsepower?

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
what do the dual arrows or tors with proper tune offer over the stock pipes in terms of torque and horsepower?
Maybe 4 to 5hp with the factory dual tune. 7hp+ with a custom TuneBoy tune tailored for your individual bike.

But the peak numbers are not the main point as a 1050 rarely stays in the highest rev range for long. The low-to-mid rev range is where you can gain the most with a proper tune. 5hp around your mostly used rev range is much more useful than bigger peak numbers.

I don't have a 08+ chart handy, but the results are similar to this 2005 bike, even though the 08+ bikes are a bit weaker down low with the Hinckley tunes:
http://www.tuneboy.com.au/images/2005_SpeedTriple_TuneBoy_Remap_T.jpg

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
The older TORs tune for plastic tank bikes is just a prehistoric version of this same tune.

That´s true. Reason to that prehistoric ;-) version is mainly, that it´s made/tuned for that earlier version ECU with less memory. So I suppose the later called "Arrow-tune" is more precise and functionally a bit better than the older "TORS-tune".

For later steel tank 1050s the Highmount/TORs/Arrow dual tune are one and the same.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
120 Posts
Maybe 4 to 5hp with the factory dual tune. 7hp+ with a custom TuneBoy tune tailored for your individual bike.

But the peak numbers are not the main point as a 1050 rarely stays in the highest rev range for long. The low-to-mid rev range is where you can gain the most with a proper tune. 5hp around your mostly used rev range is much more useful than bigger peak numbers.

I don't have a 08+ chart handy, but the results are similar to this 2005 bike, even though the 08+ bikes are a bit weaker down low with the Hinckley tunes:
http://www.tuneboy.com.au/images/2005_SpeedTriple_TuneBoy_Remap_T.jpg
thanks for the info.l went ahead and had the duel arrows installed and they installed tune 20274 tune.now i see one pipe hangs lower than the other looks like the midpipe is missbent.dealer cant figure it out yet.i like the pipes,bike seems to have more punch down low and less popping on decel.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
now i see one pipe hangs lower than the other looks like the midpipe is missbent.
You have to loosen all the clamps (including the midpipe-to-header clamp) at the same time, then adjust cans to your liking and tighten everything back up.

The angle of the cans also depends on what position you tighten the Arrow bracket onto the frame. I like to mount these as high as possible first, and add the cans after so there is no weight pulling before the brackets are tight.

·
Registered
87 Posts
+1 on having to loosen everything to align the cans well... I first thought something wasn't bent properly also, but it just takes a lot of messing with. I found it helpful to loosen the mid-pipe-to-header joint and rotate the Arrows pipe until the center of the mid-pipe looked straight in comparision to the thin frame tube behind the shock (hopefully I said this right, as I'm not looking at the bike right now).

With regard to the "older plastic tank/early ecu tune" vs the "newer metal tank/newer ecu tune" my '06 has a metal tank, but I'm pretty sure it has the older ecu, so you can't go by the tank material alone...

·
Registered
120 Posts
You have to loosen all the clamps (including the midpipe-to-header clamp) at the same time, then adjust cans to your liking and tighten everything back up.

The angle of the cans also depends on what position you tighten the Arrow bracket onto the frame. I like to mount these as high as possible first, and add the cans after so there is no weight pulling before the brackets are tight.
yes that was the fix thanks for the info its frustrating to pay a triumph dealer and they cant install their own product.they have to call triumph usa to find out whats wrong,but i took care of it myself with your help.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
No finetuned dyno tunes for us 08+ guys at the moment, I'm afraid.

I have been happy with a 5% richened 20275 tune on my Arrow midpipe + Arrow duals + nonSAI 09 bike.

You can have a go with a similar crude richening of the fuel tables in TuneEdit. On the "fuel % trim" table put 5 on every cell. Then on L1 table select all cells, key F8 on the keyboard and put 5 into the popup dialog that appears. Now copy-paste the L1 table onto L2 and L3.

The end result of the above is a tune that has 5% more fuel across the range on throttle position based and manifold vacuum based tables.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Baffles out. The highmount tunes (like 20275) are for cans without baffles. With baffles in the cans flow as bad as stock and the highmount tune is not mandatory.

The bike should run OK with the highmount tunes and no baffles as that is the combo the tune is ment for. You might hear a little more afterburn popping on closed throttle as baffle is not there to kill the flame.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts