Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Our police here in the land where many Triumphs are made, all go home at 5pm and never engage in any form of pursuits, other than for corrupt bribe money.

They also ride their own scooters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
188 Posts
If you notice them they're not doing their job properly :)

One of my bikes (blue BMW R80RT) is in Special Branch surveillance spec - it was a cancelled order so never made it service and was sold directly by the dealership.
Good point :giggle:. I spose as long as they are doing what they are supposed to do and not bothering us law abiding citizens :rolleyes: then fair enough.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Good point :giggle:. I spose as long as they are doing what they are supposed to do and not bothering us law abiding citizens :rolleyes: then fair enough.
Don't forget that there's a difference between "unmarked" and "surveillance". Unmarked vehicles will have some or all of the police kit (radios, calibrated speedos, lights behind grilles etc) and be pulling people over, whereas the surveillance vehicles won't have any of the police kit but may have performance upgrades

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Down here in Tassie (look it up) the cops picked up a swag of Tigers which they use to snoop on drivers using phones etc. They filter through traffic and look through the windows.
Eeek! Someday I'd like a coherent explanation as to why talking on a phone while driving is any more distracting than talking to a passenger. Maybe speaking while driving should be banned! Maybe thinking about anything other than driving should be banned while driving. Maybe driving should be banned. Oh! Tesla is already working on that! As well as implantable neural net devices to keep you compliant...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Eeek! Someday I'd like a coherent explanation as to why talking on a phone while driving is any more distracting than talking to a passenger. Maybe speaking while driving should be banned! Maybe thinking about anything other than driving should be banned while driving. Maybe driving should be banned. Oh! Tesla is already working on that! As well as implantable neural net devices to keep you compliant...
It actually is much more distracting. The main reason is that when someone is present, both driver and passenger adjust the conversation based on the level of difficulty. Without having the co-operation of the passenger (which is impossible on the phone cause they aren't in the physical environment), the conversation difficulty adjusts.

Slightly unrelated:
Similar studies have also been done on why being in a room with someone on the phone (where you can't hear the other person on the phone) is so annoying. Essentially, when you only hear one side of a conversation, your brain works hard to create the other side. So our minds race when we only have partial information because it's trying to imagine the other parts. This is also what's going on when you're talking on the phone. Your brain is spending spatial processing time on imaging the person being with you, their facial expression, hands, etc....

Here's a link. If you don't like the NYTimes, just use this Google link and pick a new source you prefer. :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
There you go:-

Even worse are the huge number of drivers driving whilst looking straight at their laps; texting, facebook, whatever. I don't know what it's like where you are but in the UK it seems to have reached epidemic proportions. With the number of near misses I've had and accidents I've witnessed while riding where there's someone on their phone I have zero tolerance.

Self driving cars? Bring it on, I say. That way those that want to drive or ride can do so and those that want to stare at their devices can be driven in safety - or more importantly they can be driven and not put those around them in danger.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The main reason is that when someone is present, both driver and passenger adjust the conversation based on the level of difficulty. Without having the co-operation of the passenger (which is impossible on the phone cause they aren't in the physical environment), the conversation difficulty adjusts.
Soooo.... as I drive faster, my passenger should get quieter?

I guarantee it doesn't work that way... 😉

On the other hand, the slower I went on the track, the more "graphic" the pit board would become...

·
Registered
381 Posts
The technology exists to disable a phone when the vehicle is in motion. Isn't it time for the manufacturers of these devises to include them in the cell phones so that many of their customers may live longer and keep using and buying their products?

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you notice them they're not doing their job properly :)

One of my bikes (blue BMW R80RT) is in Special Branch surveillance spec - it was a cancelled order so never made it service and was sold directly by the dealership.
Bmw dealerships ehh ;)
They'll tell you anything to get a sale :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
The technology exists to disable a phone when the vehicle is in motion. Isn't it time for the manufacturers of these devises to include them in the cell phones so that many of their customers may live longer and keep using and buying their products?
Only sheeple would buy them... Manufacturers probably prefer a more robust market base. I noticed that Waze finally dumped their ridiculous "safety lock out" that meant you had to pretend to be a passenger in order to type. So I guess you'd just need to pretend to be a passenger to keep talking.

Can you imagine how much less productive your day would be if you couldn't conduct business for hundreds of miles while driving?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Self driving cars? Bring it on, I say. That way those that want to drive or ride can do so and those that want to stare at their devices can be driven in safety
You really believe you'll be given the "option" once the nanny state figures out they can control your means of travel and make decisions for you?

When you reach retirement age you'll probably have to have your driving algorithm changed to the "expendable mode" so the self driving 'bot will always choose to kill you in an accident scenario and save the younger, more productive pedestrian or what not.

For that matter the safety algorithm will probably be tweaked by the wealthy/knowledgeable/connected to always choose to save them in favor of the proletariat.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts