Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With 21,000 kms over some bumpy roads I thought I'd change out the fork oil. I've noticed that the front suspension never used the bottom inch of travel even over very bumpy roads because of the stiff springs and my lighter weight. Ordered a fork spring compressor tool, .85kg/mm springs better suited for my weight (160 lbs) as recommended by Racetech, (stock springs are .90kg/mm), and 2 liters of Racetech fork oil 5wt. I also ordered new seals and dust boots from Racetech for future use cos they were not expensive.

-Kayaba must be getting their act together cos surprisingly the oil was quite clear and hardly dirty at all, so they are not kidding about the suggested first service at 40,000 kms.
-The compressor tool, stem mount stand, and Haynes manual are must haves for fork service; otherwise you may cause expensive damage to the fork.
-Racetech strongly recommends a fork oil level for the STR at 110mm below the top of the inner fork tube not 72mm as per the manual.
-I did the whole job in the afternoon and the new springs are indeed more responsive and have a nicer feel over my favourite bumpy road with the same damping settings as before. (You can even send the cartridges to Racetech for their special valving if you want.)
-I measured total sag (using a tie wrap) with my body weight and it was 25-30mm about right.
-I figure one trip to the dealer for a fork service would pay for the tools and oil anyway so I have the equipment for a future service if needed. - Wayne

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Is it a little softer overall now? I weight the same as you so thanks for info!

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I only had a short ride over my favourite bumpy road because of bad weather, but the fork does feel more responsive with this spring (which is probably the same rate as the standard Street Triple) and the lower oil level. IMO the OEM spring on the R is better suited for a heavier rider (around 200 lbs) or the race-track. Of course with the R you can firm up the damping for aggressive riding on the street if you wish. Racetech also has optional spring kits for the firmly sprung rear R shock too for street riding. Spring compressor tools are needed for DIY suspension work so it is best to pay the dealer if you don't have these tools. IMO the stock R suspension would be fine for a heavy rider but for the street it is a bit rough for a light rider up to 180 lbs. - Wayne

1 - 3 of 3 Posts