Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've wanted a set of kneepads ever since I got my bike, but I have not had the funds available to buy accessories; so I decided to go the DIY (cheap) route.

I went to a rubber supply company that carries all sorts of hose, rubber sheet, fittings, etc. They gave me a large scrap of what they referred to as "rib runner" which is used to make floormats and stair tread. It cost me $3.00. I also got a tube of marine grade silicone for $7.00.

I made a template out of cardstock to get the shape right, then traced and cut the rubber. I smeared a thin even coat of silicone and stuck the pads on the tank, wiping off the excess caulk that sqeezed out of the edges. I need to wait 24 hours for the silicone to cure, after that they should be good to go.

Thanks to those of you who recommended clear silicone for the Triumph knee pads. Worked like a charm.

I am digging the ribbed pattern. No Triumph logo on these pads, but I think that's a bit superfluous, being right next to the tank badge.
And all for $10.00!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I'm impressed by what you've achieved there. Looks very professional and a huge saving over the cost of the Triumph version.

·
Registered
355 Posts
you can get the old triumph style (with the real logo) off ebay cheap...the 66-68 model is closest to modern shape

·
Registered
82 Posts
Awesome! The logo on the Triumph knee pads always bothered me. Thought it was kinda silly looking having a logo that big right beside the tank badge. Those look great.

·
Registered
10,856 Posts
A+ for resourcefulness! Nice job! :goodpost:

·
Registered
564 Posts
Awesome!!! I was thinking the exact same thing. I wanted to do this for my Bonnie and my Daytona 675. does it help really help with grip? I need this more for my Daytona b/c I do track days and braking hard while sliding up front can suck. Does the glue hold it pretty well? Better than the 3M adhesive found on techspecs and stompgrips?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys!

Awesome!!! I was thinking the exact same thing. I wanted to do this for my Bonnie and my Daytona 675. does it help really help with grip? I need this more for my Daytona b/c I do track days and braking hard while sliding up front can suck. Does the glue hold it pretty well? Better than the 3M adhesive found on techspecs and stompgrips?
I think the kneepads do help a little bit, I did not like gripping the bare tank with my knees during turns-it didn't feel quite right. Better now. That, and both my other bikes have tank pads. That look is kind of imprited on me. Vintage style bikes do not look right without them.

The silicone seems to be holding up well for now. It is marine grade so it should be impervious to water and salt. (Don't know about petrol) Several guys here on the forum recommended it as an alternative to the 3M adhesive on the Triumph pads, which is supposedly prone to failure. One advantage is that should I choose to remove the pads, the silicone should peel off quite easily.

I'd like to see some other interperetations of these DIY pads. I'm sure there all all different kinds of rubber products that can be used.

Let's see yer custom tank pads!

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I'm not a fan of knee pads, but I got to say that yours look just as good or better than OEM.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The silicone seems to be holding up well for now. It is marine grade so it should be impervious to water and salt.
Only difference between Marine silicone and regular is that marine silicone doesn't contain any fungicides that would leach out into the water and kill your fish and coral. Regular would stop mould growing on your tank :D

Nice job on the knee pads !

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'd like to see some other interperetations of these DIY pads. I'm sure there all all different kinds of rubber products that can be used.

Let's see yer custom tank pads!
That is a fantastic job you did with those knee pads! Much like you, I've always wanted knee pads, but thought that the factory ones were over priced. I have a black base model Bonnie. I'm going to go to Lowe's and see if they have any red rubber mats I can use to make my knee pads. :D

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
That is an awesome job! $10 vs the nearly $70 I spent on mine! While I do prefer the look of the factory item, but not $60 worth of preference.

cheers!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Hey up , i like yours better then the standard one - well done that man . :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts