Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looked at trading in my 05 abs for a new zzr1400.
registered new to me july 05, Its done 9500 miles has full lugage, alarm, heated grips, full dealer service history and a new set of tyres. Offerred £5500 - £5700 at the kawasaki dealer....( depends when they can get me a back ordered zzr) not very good for a bike that cost £9200 17 months ago. I was more annoyed by my local triumph dealer where i bought it from they offerred me £5400 against another 07 ST. They told me the abs model isnt listed in the value book so they would only give me the non abs price.
Hmm.... that abs option at £800 wasnt good value and worth all the spongey brake lever hassle after all :hammer:

So anyone after a nice and cheap px price ST abs in the uk pm me... id rather someone here get a good deal than the dealer make a fast buck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
ST,

Look at Kbb.com. Any bike depreciates rapidly if you use the trade-in value. I compared three bikes before I bought the Sprint ST. The Ducati ST3 and a HD Electraglide. For trade-in, all bikes depreciated about the same. At the end of six years there was virtually no difference in their rate of depreciation. The HD held its value better than the others in a private sale, but for the higher initial purchase price I could buy two Sprint STs over 12 years for about the price of the HD. Knowing this, I bought the ST for the long haul. Best insurance rate, reliability and price. Bottom line is...buy'em and put the miles on them. They are meant to enjoy.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Yeah, they really drop off in price. Just keep it for a few seasons, then buy a used ZZR1400. That would be your best bet.

If you are making payments on the bike, not a good idea to roll the balance of the old loan into the new bike loan.

Seems as though the "newness" of you Sprint has passed, and your ready for some more "newness". Yet, the ZZR1400 will lose it's luster too, and you'll be stuck with a big bike payment!

That's how they get us. Keep re-designing bikes every year! :-D

·
Registered
357 Posts
you be correct "Tphite"...new bikes and B A M they've gotten into our checkbooks again...DANG!

[ This message was edited by: hANNAbONE on 2006-12-12 12:06 ]

·
Banned
336 Posts
Its not a good time of year to be contemplating trading in your ST. You will always get offered a lower price in winter than in spring or summer. A dealer is also likely to offer a lower price if the bike you are looking to trade is not something they would want to take on. I would wait until Spring if I were you.

PS yes, the depreciation on Triumphs in the first 2 years is pretty horrendous.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Craigslist is your best friend! I would never trade in a bike at a dealer for a new one. But I would also never buy something brand new on loan either.

I have found researching what you really want and waiting for the right deal to show up in the classifieds on a used bike and paying cash, generally means I can sell that used bike for what I bought it for a year or 2 later.

Unless you are always dying to be riding the latest and greatest, this is a great way of investing a few dollars up front and basically having a ride in the garage that is always worth what you paid for it, in case you want to upgrade or try something else.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Great advise. Bikes always cost top dollar at the dealer and are worth***** at trade in. Even if you do get a deal theres a pay back. My friend bought a Suzuki Bandit 650 2006 at a great price but quickly got bored with it. Trouble is, they now have them on Zero percent finance. They won't give him much at trade as they don't want it, as it is cheaper to buy a brand new bike at zero percent, rather than 2nd hand at say 11 percent.

Kev

·
Registered
313 Posts
ST - if you hav ridden the ZZR1400, I'd love to hear a comparison to the Sprint. The bike interestes me - not for ballistic tops speeds, I just like the looks, it ought to have effortless grunt and be planty stable.

Sell your old bike privately - trade-ins are convenient. But generally a rip-off. Or - maybe you can sell it on consignment, if your dealer does that. 10% is the usual commision - but you have none of the headaches.

Take care - BB

·
Registered
929 Posts
I wouldnt buy another budget Kawasaki.
wait until you trade that thing in!

Even if it is the fastest bike around.

the workmanship is complete*****.
I have seen it on their motocross bikes, enduros and their street.

it is nice to see them get back to the drawing table recently with some new designs.

anyway... just my personal opinion.
best of luck on your sale.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers guys for the words.... I paid cash for my ST and im reluctant to fall foul of the new model must have syndrome i had for the ST. I could just keep the ST for another 2 years and only lose another £1500 which does make sound financial sense. But no doubt if i bought the zzr and 2 years on and another £3k lost when the next new ride comes along......
I never buy a used bike for a number of reasons so whatever i buy next im gonna lose cash. such is life!

The St is a cracking bike and i have ridden it all round europe and it was spot on. I lapped the nurburgring quicker on the st than on a mates cbr6rr. My mates ride r1's and zx10's and for quick road riding the ST has earned big respect from others and does just as good 2 up.

I do crave more bhp ( only mod ive done is the tor tune and can which gives a little more performance) But the zzr just keeps nodding at me. i havent ridden one but ive sat on one in the showrooms and ergonomically its perfect for me. im hoping the local dealer will have a demo model in the spring so i can decide for certain then.
In the meantime the St's in the garage asleep for winter :(

·
Registered
489 Posts
Dealers generally give as little as possible for any trade. Car, moto, boat, whatever. Just a fact of life. I was just offered a measly $3K at the Mazda dealer for my parent's 2000 GTI-VR6 with only 54K garaged miles on it! Book is closer to $9K. I'll sell it privately for about $7K.

·
Registered
564 Posts
My 3 year old 25,000 kms RS just covered half the price of my new " demo" BMW R1200ST.

some hints:
Avoid any disappointment by always paying cash and then buying a demo or an "on special".
Visit a few weeks running just fishing and not appearing desperate. Let them get desperate at around the end of the month :cool:

·
Registered
199 Posts
I can do better than that -
I brought my 06 ST (no ABS) 5 weeks ago for AUD$16k on the road and walked into the dealer yesterday a said I wanted to trade up to the 07 model - sales guy said "I'll give you $11k for it"
So after 5 weeks and 1500km's I've lost 5 grand - thats a $1000 per week.
So I said "###*&^%%$#(()@)(*&&^@?>><? up your arse and )^%$^&**&%^***" :mad:

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
On 2006-12-12 23:50, BallaRAT_ST1050 wrote:
I can do better than that -
I brought my 06 ST (no ABS) 5 weeks ago for AUD$16k on the road and walked into the dealer yesterday a said I wanted to trade up to the 07 model - sales guy said "I'll give you $11k for it"
So after 5 weeks and 1500km's I've lost 5 grand - thats a $1000 per week.
:cry: I know that sounds shite, but he's gotta add warranty provisions, detailing, some profit and GST. So if he puts it on the lot for $15000 knowing he'll get < 13000 after taxes and haggling. That's not much if it sits there for a few months. It's the biggest problem in retail, turning your money over quick enough to actually make money when rent, electricity and wages are as high as they are....... sorry, being in another line of retail I do understand this to some extent.

I also understand the buyer wanting to get the best price they can.

I try and keep it simple. I upset the salesman by saying, I don't care what tradein I get, I only want to know changeover (or ride out the door) price.

So boost the trade and boost the RRP or lower both, I don't care just tell me that bottom line, if it's not good enough I walk until, like you say, the bike stops depreciating and I get a reasonable deal ;-)

Russ

[ This message was edited by: ruscook on 2006-12-13 03:08 ]

·
Banned
336 Posts
There shouldn't be any warranty provisions on a 5 week old bike as it would still be covered by the manufacturers warranty. What is the GST rate in Australia, 12.5%? Assuming it is then as soon as the bike is ridden out the door that's almost 2000 dollars gone straight away. Which still leaves $3000. Unfortunately as Russ pointed out above, the dealer has his costs.

The main question is why you would want to trade up to the 2007 model after just 5 weeks? After all, the differences between the 2006 and 2007 are not that great.

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
On 2006-12-13 05:11, Nelson955 wrote:
There shouldn't be any warranty provisions on a 5 week old bike as it would still be covered by the manufacturers warranty. What is the GST rate in Australia, 12.5%? Assuming it is then as soon as the bike is ridden out the door that's almost 2000 dollars gone straight away. Which still leaves $3000. Unfortunately as Russ pointed out above, the dealer has his costs.

The main question is why you would want to trade up to the 2007 model after just 5 weeks? After all, the differences between the 2006 and 2007 are not that great.
Thats true re: the warranty point on a 5 week old bike Nelson, but generally the dealer needs to factor this in on older secondhand bikes.

Our GST is 10% so a Sprint @ $15990 RRP has nearly $1600 of tax knocked off the value as soon as you ride out the door.

Yes its a cruel world when things cost so much. Obviously when a new bike was $2900 brand new and rent and wages were around $200 per week we didn't notice the dealers cut so much. Multiple that lot by 5 times or more and it sounds a lot of dosh when it isn't necessarily (proportionally anyway)....

that said, it still hurts to lose 30-40% of the bikes value as soon as it's out the door!

It also means that while entitled to a fair living for their investment in small business, the buggers still have no right to rip anyone off. It's gotta be a win-win or it's not worth playing the game.

Russ

·
Registered
199 Posts
On 2006-12-13 05:11, Nelson955 wrote:

The bike is now in the shop for the second time with regard to a coolant discharge (see: 2006ST Coolant Overflow).
My first new bike and I cop a "UN-HEARD OF" fault.
I guess I'm just feeling disappointed and thought I'd ask the question and maybe cut my losses and ugrade
Mind you the missus would kill me

1 - 18 of 18 Posts