Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, i have found a noticeable clunk over large bumps on my sprint sport - at first i thought it was headstock/fork related, but i have found the floating discs have play around the rivets - is this a solveable problem, or do they need replacing, if so where would be a good place to look? cheers

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Hi jimmer72, the floating discs are supposed to have movement, thats the whole idea of a floating disc. It shouldn't be excessive however, how much "play" are we talking here?

It might be the rear shock thats causing the clunk, if it is the original it is most likely shagged.

Cheers,

Roden

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ours are semi-floating, with a wave washer snugging the fit. The washers get dirty or worn, resulting in lateral movement of the disc. This lateral movement can cause noise. It's annoying more than anything else.

That stated, full-floating discs have quite a bit of play as they aren't snugged to the hub by washers. Full-floaters are considered state-of-the-art despite their rattling, clanging, whirring, and vibrating nature. While riding down a bumpy road on full-floaters, you would swear your bike is grenading from the sound.

The semi-floating discs on US models are held to hubs by rivet; However, I believe UK models are held by circlip. If true for your bike, just remove the circlip and replace the offending washer(s).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks you both - nice to know clunk is state of the art! i realise the play is to allow heat expansion, think mine are riveted not clips but i'll check when it stops raining.
As far as rear shock is concerned - what are th characteristics of it being knackered - its hard to know when all you've ridden is one bike - nothing to compare it to!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts