Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Are there any issues regarding disconnecting the battery on a Storm?

eg. does the bike require re-mapping after hooking the battery back up (or the 12 minute tune)?

Just about every instruction on fitting of accessories states to disconnect the battery. I want to install the auxiliary power socket.

Thanks

·
Registered
706 Posts
No issues with remapping but you will lose all your data ( fuel gage, trip odo., clock, mi. to empty) fuel gauge should sort it self.

·
Registered
297 Posts
On all 12 volt systems,the NEGATIVE cable is ALWAYS disconnected FIRST and reconnected last.The same on your bike.So negative is what ya disconnect.When ya reconnect it,other then losing the things mentioned,the ECU will recalibrate itself after being driven for a few miles.Or,you can do the 12 minute adaption procedure.Your choice. Dave!!!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Good point Dave, somethings are second nature to some and are often over looked when posted. I dont think the ECU would respond too kindly to a shorted battery, thanks for the added info.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Dave, are you sure adaption is lost ? I know instrument data is lost, but adaption too?
NO! I'm not sure,I'm positive.The Bird uses OBDII,and if I'm not mistaken,also has CAN [clean air network] included in its computer control system,just like the newer cars and trucks do.Can you say"thank you EPA" GRRRRRRRR!! When ever you disconnect that vehicles' battery, then reconnect it,that vehicle will usually run alittle funny until it's been driven for a few miles.That few miles allows the ECM,PCM,ECU,or whatever name you chose to give it, to recalibrate itself.

It was just alittle heads up should anyone notice their machine runnin alittle strange after reconnecting the battery.Sometimes ya notice it and sometimes ya don't.But the point is,there's nothin wrong with the machine and ya won't hurt anything.It just has to reset itself.OR,you could do the adaption procedure if it still doesn't feel right.

Now what you could do if ya have a power outlet [cigarette lighter type] tied into the system,[not connected directly to the battery],is buy a little pig tale with a cigarette lighter type plug on one end of it and a connection which accepts a 9 volt battery on the other end, [I forget the proper name of it] and plug it into that power outlet.The 9 volt battery will provide just enough DC power to hold the memory in the computer while the battery is disconnected and should also prevent the loss of the instrument data on the odometer.I have two of those little gadgets which I use specifically for that purpose when working on cars and trucks.However,I haven't tried it on the Bird yet as I really haven't had a reason to do so.

But,as I said,it's just an FYI. Dave!!!

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Well that sucks. Next time i need to disconnect it I'm now discouraged knowing i have to do the 12 minute tune too, as mine does NOT adapt very fast. It takes weeks. And the 12MT last time i did it took 30 minutes ! I'm not happy about 30 minutes of idling time or the trouble of sitting there waiting. That is truly a drag. :(

·
Registered
297 Posts
Ya shouldn't have any reason to be disconnecting the battery all the time.Ya only do it once in a great while or if it needs to be replaced.The SM tells ya to disconnect it for everything ya do to it.WELL,ya don't really have to if ya know what you're doing.I believe the reason Triumph tells ya that is just in case ya happen to hit a hot witre with a wrench or somethin which would cause a problem.But 99% of the time,ya really don't have to disconnect it.

I've owned my scooter now for 15 months and have only had the battery disconnented once.And that was right after I bought it and installed the plug for my electric clothing.Since then I've done tons of work on it,including adding my radio set up,and still never had to disconnect it. Dave!!!

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
I know that....it's pretty obvious. They tell you to disconnect it is you remove a mirror. I rarely disconnect it, but when i do have a reason to i hate to think that i then have to sit there watching it idle for 30 minutes.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all for all that info. I'm going to disconnect the battery (negative first) as I'm going to wire up the auxiliary socket.

A bit pissed off that I may have to do the 12mt again as I only did it a few days ago.

Thanks and cheers

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
I just installed a battery maintainer pigtail so I had the battery cables off. ( BTW what's up with the little nuts that drop down - used a long wooden match stick to raise them up enough to re-engage the thread.) Fortunately I did the 12 minute tune after I installed the pigtail - sheer luck!
Now I know - thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just installed a battery maintainer pigtail so I had the battery cables off. ( BTW what's up with the little nuts that drop down - used a long wooden match stick to raise them up enough to re-engage the thread.) Fortunately I did the 12 minute tune after I installed the pigtail - sheer luck!
Now I know - thanks for the heads up.
Hi oldgreybull

Is that "pigtail" the cables you attach to the battery so you can hook up the battery maintainer by just plugging it into a type of socket?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Yep - bought a charger/battery maintainer from Fast Eddie (great guy and great service) - the charger comes with a fused harness you attach to the battery permanently and you can hook the charger up any time very easily. It also came with a fused harness with alligator clips you can use on other batteries.
I brought mine out on the left side and loosely zip tied it under the left compartment.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I bought the Triumph Battery Optimizer. However, it's interesting that in the Owner's manual, it states "Always remove the battery from the motorcycle" when charging it. This seems to negate using the Battery Optimizer while the battery is still in the bike (which is why I bought it in the first place).

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
I bought the Triumph Battery Optimizer. However, it's interesting that in the Owner's manual, it states "Always remove the battery from the motorcycle" when charging it. This seems to negate using the Battery Optimizer while the battery is still in the bike (which is why I bought it in the first place).
Don't worry about, you're not charging it, you're just "optimising" it! :D

·
Registered
297 Posts
If ya use a trickle charger [1 1/14 amp] to charge or maintain a MC battery, nothing should be damaged.It's when ya jump a MC battery from a car or use a high amperage battery charger to charge the MC battery that damage to the electrical system will be done.In other words,the small battery tender type chargers should not hurt anything.I have a "BATTERY TENDER" [1 1/4 amp] and have been using it for years.Works great. Dave!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts