Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking off my front wheel and I'm not quite sure how I'm supposed to disconnect the speedo cable. Do I unscrew the screw that sits near the spindle, or... ? :???:

·
Registered
519 Posts
Do you have a Hayne's manual?....Here's where that baby comes in handy. Yes, unscrew it and take off the brake pad but suspend it with string or a bungee cord....should do it

·
Registered
913 Posts
yep, back that screw out and the cable pulls right out. That end of the cable has a slot that has to be realigned when you reinstall but it's pretty self explanatory once you see what's going on.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. Ugh, now these stone guards won't come off. There should be a law to require installation instructions be illustrated.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
What your speedo cable hasn t snapped yet.?Mine did at 17,000 klm and 1 month out of warranty.I dont think it was the only one either.

:mad: :mad:

·
Registered
10,270 Posts
Wisdom on this forum is that the speedo cable should be withdrawn from the wheel end and given a light coat of grease, especially to reduce wear in the bend near the speedometer.

I did this yesterday and came up with an easy way to "persuade" the cable around same bend when re-inserting. I put the tip of the wheel end of the cable in the chuck of a drill, gently tightened just enough to hold it, and spun the cable with the drill while pushing in.

It went all the way in very easily, after multiple unsuccessful attempts to do it without the drill trick.

[edit] Note that the speedometer end of the cable was disconnected when I did this.

[ This message was edited by: Baltobonneville on 2007-06-10 21:35 ]

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Balto--that's brilliant! I struggled with that little beastly thing until I was convinced I would have to order a whole new cable. I could not get the top of the cable past the curve at the very top of the outside sheath. So I resorted to my "if all else fails" maneuver, a beer. Came back for one, two, three last tries and finally got the beast to go through, but this trick of yours, gently, gently done, sounds surefire. Not wanting to risk being unable to get the cable back into the sheath, I've been lubing with the cable inside the sheath, using BikeLube, but my usual procedure has always been to remove the cable from the sheath, clean it, lube it with good grease, and put it back in the sheath, remembering to keep grease away from the top of the cable that goes into the speedo housing itself. I'm going to go out and properly lube my speedo cable.

·
Registered
10,270 Posts
Deborah, I have more experience with snaking drains than I want to admit.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
It worked beautifully! First I took the cable off, then pulled from the bottom by hand. No way it was coming out of the sheath. Same as before--inner cable was hung up at the top bend. I tried turning and pulling out, no go. So I hooked up the drill, very carefully, knocked the drill down to its slowest setting, and presto, a few rotations and slight pulling out and the cable was free. I cleaned it up, lubed it properly and slid it back in the sheath. Hooked up the bottom of the inner cable in the drill chuck and again, presto, it's back in place, easily clearing the bend. Thanks Balto!! I was actually chuckling to myself in the garage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts