Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
My 93 Sprint is running a bit bad, I imagine I have to do carb cleaning but also my spark plugs are getting fouled by oil, so I guess there's some ring changing on the pistons due.

But... a mechanic at a local garage suggested disconnecting the breather pipe where it connects to the airbox to improve running. Is this wise/effective?:confused:

And would taking off and cleaning the carbs be a routine DIY job even an idiot like me could do, bearing in mind that I get nervous just changing the battery?

And to finish, apart from disconnecting the breather pipe, is there anything else simple that I can do in the meanwhile?

cheers and thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
I can only imagine your mechanic is thinking that oil may be fed into the air box via the breather & may be contributing to fouling the plug as it gets sucked in with the fuel & air mixture..?

If so you could disconnect it..more is the reason as to why that much oil would be causing that as a problem...you see there is also a drain in the air box designed to bleed off water, oil, fuel etc.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
And would taking off and cleaning the carbs be a routine DIY job even an idiot like me could do, bearing in mind that I get nervous just changing the battery?

Pulling the carb rack takes quite a bit of time the first time through, but not too difficult. Plenty of info on the site about things to make it easier. A Haynes manual is good to have before doing anything. Along with a car because the bike will likely be down a few days :D. And a set of sockets, allen/hex wrenches, + long screwdriver if you are going to loosen the clamps the carbs and airbox. Other tricks make it easier if you are going to be pulling and refitting the carb rack repeatedly. And if you are going to bother to clean them, you might as well replace the o-rings so ordering 3 sets might be wise before you begin at the same time you order the Haynes.

http://www.triumphrat.net/t3-sport-touring-forum/103802-restoration-project-97-sprint-st-new-to-me.html#post1207444 has some info on cleaning carbs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So Mot, maybe one thing I could do before cleaning out the carbs, is clean out/change the airbox, as I could imagine that it would be pretty fouled up? And that could also affect the bike's performance, right?
Djw, I'm going to mentally prepare myself for carb removal and cleaning (the four spanners that Haynes adjudicates the job is slightly worrying:D)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another thing, which is no doubt connected, is that the bloody bike doesn't start unless it's been sitting in the sun all afternoon. Charging the battery up now and tomorrow I'll fiddle with it...
ho hum

1 - 5 of 5 Posts