Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone recommend a disc lock for my Bonnie T100, pref. available in the UK.

I have an Oxford Boss. The first one I bought went faulty in a couple of weeks and wouldn't always unlock (key wouldn't go in far enough to turn tumblers). I had it replaced FOC, now a year and a bit on it's doing the same thing. A bit disconcerting when you are out and about and can't get the thing off!! I have lost confidence in this lock so can anyone recommend a good one pref Thatchem or Sold Secure approved?

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
I use a XENA XN15 (I think it's an XN15, it's certainly got a 14mm lock but I can't see a model code stamped on it anywhere and who can remember these things eh?) I've had it for a year and it seems to do the job just fine.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use a XENA XN15 (I think it's an XN15, it's certainly got a 14mm lock but I can't see a model code stamped on it anywhere and who can remember these things eh?) I've had it for a year and it seems to do the job just fine.
Thanks Saphena. The XENA disc locks look very good. How do you get on with the alarm on these locks,do they go off unnecessarily? Also I see they arm automatically when they are attached to disc,how do you dis-arm them before taking them off?

Kevin AKA barneys

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
Mine has been known to go off unnecessarily but its sensitivity varies depending on where you mount it on the disc - bottom is least sensitive, top is most sensitive.

As far as disarming it, yes you do want to practice removing the lock before doing it in a public place. If you turn the key to release the lock but don't actually remove it from the disc, the alarm will sound. You need to get the unlock/remove action smooth and quick.

Apart from the occasional unwelcome noise, think of the benefit - anyone moving the bike will have their eardrums hurt and they will attract attention. Please go and annoy someone else's bike, not mine.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm interested in the Xena alarm lock for my 2010 Bonneville T100 here in America. The problem is, I'm not sure what size/model to get and the sizing chart on their website doesn't help me. Some locks probably work well on the mag wheels of the Bonneville and and Bonneville SE, but the spoked wheels on the Bonneville T100 and the different discs (it has different size holes in it I believe) make it hard to tell which Xena to get. For instance, I'm pretty sure there is no aperture in the T100's disc that would permit a 14mm pin. Can you confirm that your Xenas are being used on the spoked 19" front wheel of a new-ish Bonneville T100? Is there a way to specify which model Xena you are using? Thanks!

·
Registered
242 Posts
I used a Motrax Vishas on my Virago. It is a very sturdy cheap lock without alarm.

For my speedmaster I wanted to upgrade the Vishas. I chose the Xena XX14 (not too expensive on ebay). It turns out that because of the latest brake disc design (on the speedmaster), I can't use anything larger than 10mm pin... so be sure to test before buying.

In a hurry, I couldn't source an XX6 at a decent price, so I went for a non-alarmed X1.

... my £0.02.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I used a motrax Kryptonite disc lock, very good value for money.

http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo/567476/Security/Padlocks-Only/Kryptonite

same lock different make http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo/525895/Security/Padlocks-Only/Sirka

when I had one of my bikes stolen a quite a few years ago, they couldn't brake this lock, they even tried removing the front disc to get the bike. they didn't.

also Motrax have a 'D' lock 2 types a short or a long. carry long one in topbox.

http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo/526831/Security/U-Locks/Motrax

·
Registered
26 Posts
I also recommend the Xena. They have good customer service if you have a problem with yours. Mine didn't work correctly when I bought it. They quickly sent me a replacement. The nice thing about the Xena is you wont ride off with it on due to the alarm. And like previously said a little practice taking it off helps.

·
Registered
372 Posts
+ 1 for XENA... in addition to lock placement for sensitivity (i.e. high or low on disk), false alarms occur due to low battery on mine.

Also, no issues in rain, snow or cold... instructions say water resistant or something, so I "tested" it with (relatively high pressure compared to rain storm) hose during a bike wash ha ha (didn't pass) but company warranty replaced, no worries!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts