Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't gotten a new motor for my Speedy yet, but I will in the near future so I'm going to start stripping the bike down in preparation of putting a new motor in.

Can anyone offer tips on removing the tank and tach panel? The rest of the stuff should be pretty straight forward.
I'll take everything off and bubble wrap the bigger painted and chrome bits and bag and label all the little stuff too.

Any tips from anyone with experience?

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
The tank is very straightforward as well.
Remove 3 bolts securing "chrome" cover around filler cap and disconnect wire connector.
Close petcock and then disconnect fuel supply to carbs
Remove the seat(s)
Remove bolt securing rear of tank.
Slide tank back to remove and disconnect overflow hose.
Easy Peasy.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
You should consider getting a shop manual before the engine swap.
That procedure would be laid out.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Yeah as VABird has said, there is a weird sort of spring type switch on the frame that touches the bottom of the tank, no idea what it does but it looks a bit flimsy. Also don't pull the tach bezel up too sharply 'cause the wiring is a bit on the short side so it's a tad fiddly to disconnect the block connector.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
..... I didn't say that!
I'm not even sure what you're talking about.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a Haynes manual, so I'll give that a good read before I get started.

Thanks for the tips guys.

·
Registered
881 Posts
..... I didn't say that!
I'm not even sure what you're talking about.
Sorry that was bad wording on my behalf, I was agreeing to what you had already said and just adding a couple of things that I thought would be worth mentioning.
When I removed the tank on my America some months back I noticed a strange switch type looking thing which is bolted to the left of the frame top tube under the centre tunnel of the fuel tank. This switch looks to be rather 'flimsy' and it has a 's' shape bare metal strip protruding from it which appears to touch the underside of the tank when the tank is fitted, you cant see it when the tank is on the bike, it is also wired into the loom. I've got no idea what it is and just assumed that all these bikes had one fitted. I just thought that it was some sort of earthing contraption for the fuel tank.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Can't say that recall anything like that.
I've been trying to find out what this thing is on the internet and with parts diagrams but I can't seem to find it anywhere. When I take my tank off again I'll take a picture of it then somebody might be able to identify it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I looked at a parts breakdown also and didn't see anything. I haven't taken the tank off yet so when I do, I'll let you guys know as well.

On another note, I found a couple of what looks and sounds like good used, low mileage Speedy motors on Ebay. First, I'm going to talk with a machinist friend and another bike mechanic I know that's also supposed to be an excellent welder. I want to get their opinion on fixing my motor and hopefully while it's still in the frame.
I only have 4000 miles on it and other than the broken idler gear boss the engine is perfect mechanically and visually ,so if I can fix mine, I'd be much happier.

We'll see...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts