Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I ordered 2 sets of the small square directional lights to replace the overly long ones on the stock Bonneville. I would like to splice the 2 wires from these new signals into the existing wires from the old ones, thus eliminating potential problems with wiring problems. Has anyone had success using this method ?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
so I ordered 2 sets of the small square directional lights to replace the overly long ones on the stock Bonneville. I would like to splice the 2 wires from these new signals into the existing wires from the old ones, thus eliminating potential problems with wiring problems. Has anyone had success using this method ?
That's what I did, no problems. Taillight was a little trickier though.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Steel...pretty unusual to replace the factory rear turnsignals in back preserving the factory ET rear tail light. I believe this marriage works best with the retro Lucas lights...looks more correct. A couple of members have done it but the attachment to the light isn't precisely clean because of the oblong interface so keep that in mind. The Lucas style light is tranformative so if changing the rear turns, consider changing the rear tail light as well whether you attach the turnsignals to the rear light or not. I noticed that Dick detached the factory lights from the ET light and relocated with smaller lights so another option. In the eye of the beholder as to what you want to do...many options.
Best,
George

·
Registered
350 Posts
I need to keep the rear signals attached to a rear tail light in order to keep the police happy around these parts, and I haven't yet found a Lucas style light that would incorporate the square mini signals. I do agree the total look would be better with a retro light. My signals are the one you chose for your Bonneville. I also ordered the Thruxton lower relocation bracket for the front signals, so I am assuming they bolt on without the oblong adapters needed. Thanks for your help !

·
Premium Member
2005 T-100, 2010 Street Triple, 1974 Honda CB550
158 Posts
steelwheels,

I currently have a Lucas style light from Newbonneville.com with aftermarket signals on my Thruxton. The only thing I added were small spacers on the signal stalks to help them sit straighter and clean up the look of the whole package a bit. I picked up the spacers in the hardware aisle at Home Depot and ground them down on the bench grinder.

Also, instead of splicing the wires I cut the connectors from the stock signals and soldered them to the new signals.

And no, I didn't cover the plate for anonymity but because the retroflective plate was robbing all the light from the flash!

Attachments

·
Registered
350 Posts
thanks,. .that's the exact setup I want, only in chrome. Did installing the Lucas style light involve drilling through the fender, and also matching the curve of the fender ? That's what's been bugging me about the conversion.

·
Premium Member
2005 T-100, 2010 Street Triple, 1974 Honda CB550
158 Posts
No drilling was necessary. At first it doesn't seem like the light will sit flush on the fender but it does. The installation is much easier if you remove the fender from the bike.

When ordering the light you will need to specify that you want the signal holes drilled. I think it was a few extra bucks.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Can it be done? Yes.. Will it look better with the Lucas light most likely... Here's mine, until I elliminate the fender some time in the next few weeks, and go to a different tail light.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts