Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I've looked at plenty of dipsticks, most looked the same.
But the dipstick on this triumph is a bit different. And, I did read the manual too.

When I look at the dipstick for my Trident, I'm not really seeing any hatched area. The metal of the dipstick on mine measures 7" from the bottom of the plastic cap, to the end of the stick. The bottom 1 1/2" is flattened. The lowest mark is 6 3/4" down, or 1/4" from the end of the stick. Another mark is at 6 3/8" down (again, measured from the bottom of the cap).

The top of the flattened area is 5 1/2", measured from the bottom of the "cap". Could someone compare this to their stick, and tell me which of these is the "full" level? Is it at the top of the flattened area, or at the upper of the two raised marks? The reason I ask, is that my new-to-me bike is filled up to the top of the flat area, which is 5 1/2 inches below the bottom of the threaded cap.

I'm wondering if it is over-filled.

If someone would compare these measurements, if would be helpful.

Can't believe I'm asking this question...

Blue-Highway

G

·
My understanding is that the bottom (6 3/4") mark is the minimum level and the top (6 3/8") is the level to which it should be filled.

Yep- Just double-checked the Haynes. "If the level is below the lower (minimum) dipstick mark, top up with oil of the recommended grade and type, to bring the level up to the upper (maximum) mark."

The Haynes also notes that oil level should be checked with the bike on the centerstand while parked on level ground. The motor should be cold when checking; wait at least 10 minutes before checking if the bike has just been run.

FWIW, my bike seems to have come back from the shop overfilled in January. I didn't notice until a 2 or 3 weeks ago, or about 1200 miles later. It seems to be an "ain't broke, don't fix it" situation so far, but I would love to hear from anybody who knows more about these things than I do.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Looks like someone filled this one pretty full. I'd guess it wasn't the original owner, because from his notes, he seemed to know what he was doing...better than I. The dealer it passed through (not a Triumph dealer) would be my guess.

The oil in mine is all the way up to the top of the flattened area, at that 5 1/2" point. Gonnna' get out a big syringe and a little plastic tubing, and get the extra out of there.

The owner's manual fo mine tells you to run it to circulate the oil, then let it sit for a minute, and then check the level.
Considering where the oil filter is, I don't see where it would make a lot of difference though.

Thanks again,

Blue-Highway

[ This message was edited by: Blue-Highway on 2007-03-11 13:32 ]

·
Premium Member
3,678 Posts
So just to carify?

I check the oil on a paddock stand after leaving it for a few mins.....but wind the dip stick fully in to get a reading.....I have come to this as being correct as the thing is supposed to take 4ltr of oil and on a oil change 4lltr brings me to the right mark when the dip stick is screwed in ?

At the end of the day I'd prefer a sight glass....no guessing then!

So have I been cocking it up for the past 5 years then? :???:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts