Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings T people!
I'm in Oz, and have recently bought a 1999 Sprint ST with the 'works', in the UK, to come over and have a bit of a decent ride around the UK and Europe next year. (long sentence!) I know you will all say "wot a goose!", and thats fair...but it was a good buy.(Trust me..!)
I sat on a Sprint RS the other day, and thought; 'man, what have I done!?!' Too cramped for me.I'm even looking to find a racebike that's sitting up, with handlebars.It's called getting older apparently...
So, the QUESTION IS: Does someone make risers, to make the position a little more acceptable to old codgers like me. Or is the RS a wee bit more sport orientated than the ST ??
Cheers, BOOT>

·
Registered
258 Posts
The RS is higher in the rear to speed up steering, has a 2 sided swingarm, and lower clipons than the ST. Its the more sporty model, yeah.

·
Premium Member
24,388 Posts
Welcome

Greetings T people!
I'm in Oz, and have recently bought a 1999 Sprint ST with the 'works', in the UK, to come over and have a bit of a decent ride around the UK and Europe next year. (long sentence!) I know you will all say "wot a goose!", and thats fair...but it was a good buy.(Trust me..!)
I sat on a Sprint RS the other day, and thought; 'man, what have I done!?!' Too cramped for me.I'm even looking to find a racebike that's sitting up, with handlebars.It's called getting older apparently...
So, the QUESTION IS: Does someone make risers, to make the position a little more acceptable to old codgers like me. Or is the RS a wee bit more sport orientated than the ST ??
Cheers, BOOT>

Hi and welcome bootlace:)

Don't panic just yet, here are some answers you may like the sound of;

1) the bars are just slighty lower I think on the RS compared to the corresponding year Sprint.
Yes you can get risers, from Triumph and Genmar, they are about 30mm in height and are cut from solid billet aluminum and just fit beneath the bars and look like they are part of the standard bar / bike, very unobtrusive in the eye dept.

2) There are also other bar options where you replace the stock bars altogether, like "Convertibars", with these you can change the angles etc as well as make the bars higher.

3) Sprint ST vs Sprint RS.............actually bugger all difference mate, same engine and cogs, springy bits identical except I think the RS has a stiffer rear spring (all suspension front and rear is by Showa). The guages are different as are the fairings of course and that is about it, you already know about the bars.
Most RS's have a double sided swing arm (DSSA) but a couple of the last models came out with the ST's single sided swing arm (SSSA).

Oh and please read our forum stickies, thanks mate.

cheers
DaveM:)

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
The RS bars are lower, further forward and have a different angle. I think you'll like the ST bars better.
The older RS's have a longer shock, which has the effect of quickening the steering. They also have a double sided swing arm instead of the single sided swing arm on the ST. The '04 RS is basically a half nekkid ST, with the same suspension.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts