Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

This is my first post, if there is a link i missed with answers to what i'm asking sorry i missed it... search wasn't turning up what i want either.

I'm looking at picking up a used 955i daytona. Some of the possibilities are:

- 2005 with 600 miles for 8995*
- 2002 with 8500 miles for 7k + fees*
- 1999 with 3k miles for 5800**
- 1999 with 11k miles for 5k+ fees***

*local dealer
**new fluids, fork seals, new tires, reputable used bike dealer, fees included
***unknown by me used bike dealer

I've seen a few private party examples that i'm not interested in, too many unknowns.

The first 2 are probably out due to price, but if there is a compelling reason to spend the extra money I will.

So my question: what are the differences in these bikes aside from cosmetic things like stickers, switch gear etc. is the chassis, fork, rear shock, engine and management system etc essentially the same?

According to KBB and NADA, they all seem a little over priced. From what i'm finding though, the 1999 with 3k miles is looking like a pretty good deal.

thanks all

·
Super Moderator
22,196 Posts
We must have been following the same route - I was at CalMoto on Sat afternoon then up to Motojava right after.
I would imagine the first two prices could be swayed by a fair margin with serious intent & no trade

You're lucky the 99 is still available - I came so, so close to buying that on Saturday & was ready to call on Monday & lay claim to it.
That is a very clean bike. Of the two 99's it's a no-brainer over which is better buy.

Forget about NADA & KBB - those are worthless when it comes to bikes.

The most significant difference from 02+ is another 20HP!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm leaning towards the one at motojava.

thanks for the opinion. i'm thinking i don't need 20 more hp, so unless i can talk calmoto down with a roll of cash there really isn't any benefit to either of their bikes. the '02 needs tires pretty soon too.

[ This message was edited by: baldredhead on 2007-02-06 18:56 ]

·
Registered
828 Posts
i have owned all three series of the daytona....my 96 superIII was a whole different ball game....it was big but it made h3lla power.....
the 99 daytona was my favorite for looks....it outran the 96 but it needed a better suspension...the 04 is killer...the power is great...delivers power flawlessly and the suspension is great after you tweak it for your weight. the brakes are nice too on the 04....
now if you are planning on a track bike ..get the cheap 99 and throw some cash into the suspension....it will serve you good...
now if ya want an everyday smooth machine...the 05 and 02 will be so much more fun and enjoyable to ride....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On 2007-02-06 19:33, dano wrote:
now if ya want an everyday smooth machine...the 05 and 02 will be so much more fun and enjoyable to ride....
can you elaborate a bit? it won't be a track bike, though at some point in the future i might do a track day.

can the suspension on the 99 be modified (springs, cartriges etc) to make up the difference?

·
Registered
828 Posts
well the suspension is better made, and it doesn't bottom out ...that is if you weigh to much...what do ya weigh? the 99's will work all the suspension travel pretty easy...the later models will absorb and have reserve left.....still able to give ya good control...the suspension was the flaw in the 97-2001 series...

·
Registered
828 Posts
the steering on my 99 was heavy compared to the 04...the 04 is way more nimble...the 99 took a little muscle...i never recognized the effort until i had the 04 and then rode the 99 afterwards....it was slower to respond...fun, but less feedback....

·
Registered
711 Posts
Prices are higher on the bikes there. 06 955 brand new is $9200 at my dealer and same in TN. I would haggle as suggested if there is no trade.

06 new 955

Here's another

06 new 955

I don't work for either shop.

Good luck!
BobW

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
BobW, One of the probs with the CA bikes is that they have the SAIS that none of the other, AFIK states have.

Brad

·
Registered
711 Posts
Thanks Brad, I think I would register it at a family/friends address out of state until it legally could be titled there. Better yet, do something like move out of there. lol. My daughter lives in Simi Valley, CA., beautiful state with so much to offer, but they really are screwed up with so many levels of special interest rules/regs for every facet of peoples lives and business. BTW, folks live in Fredericksburg, TX, superb people and area to go riding.

Cheers,
BobW

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what is SAIS? i presume it's something emissions related that means there is a California version of the bike, thus the 7500 mile rule applies so no importing out of state bikes.

i'm 6 feet tall or so, and about 250 lb. i'm not fat, just big boned!! :roflmoa2:

if steering effort changed, does that mean frame geometry changed, possibly the tripple clamp geometry?

suspension bottoming sounds like it can be cured in the aftermarket with springs, oil weight etc. given my weight i'll have to do that on the newer bikes anyway.

something that i thought about.. it seems that 2002 models are the only ones that didn't have the single sided swing arm. the 2002 used bike at CalMoto has a single sided swing arm, and it's an anniversary eddition? at least it has the badge on the tank: Centenary Edition. did these have the single sided arm? did someone do some parts swapping?

thanks for humoring me, this is good stuff.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
The later the better as they are fully sorted, my 06 is the peak of development as its the last one's made, I would pay the extra for an 04to06, and not have anthing to do but personalise it. Talk down the 05 and you wont regret it, mind you all the erlier model owners will tell me I am wrong no doubt.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i just test rode the 05 and 02 back to back. mind you there were no really interesting sections of road but the only difference i could discern, aside from cosmetic stuff, was the suspension adjustment.

On 2007-02-07 10:53, doodledog wrote:
The later the better as they are fully sorted, my 06 is the peak of development as its the last one's made, I would pay the extra for an 04to06, and not have anthing to do but personalise it. Talk down the 05 and you wont regret it, mind you all the erlier model owners will tell me I am wrong no doubt.
what makes the 04 to 06 better? i understand the idea that little bugs get fixed, electricals and such but i'm more worried about the hard parts. suspension, motor, frame etc etc

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
IMHO, the suspension on the 04/06 is so adjustable that with some work and experimenting you can set it up to suit you perfectly, no need for after market add ons, even for track work(and I do ride hard and have done track days). The motor I think is the last development of a tried and trusted motor, their all now the 1050 which is really just a big bore 955 which was triumphs mainstay, its strong and not particularly stressed but produces more BHP (about 20) than earlier models, but this is mainly in usable torque rather than top speed, not sure what the top speed is but I have seen 150mph with more available, but even at that the bike was absolutly rock steady, the gearbox is a bit lumpy but improves with use and after a few thou is sweet, Frame is similar as far as I know on all the 955's. Brakes on mine are fine and progressive with lots of feel, and yes I have done a stoppie or two when the roads were clean and the tyre's warmed up. I would go for the 05. :-D

[ This message was edited by: doodledog on 2007-02-07 15:13 ]

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
On 2007-02-07 15:09, doodledog wrote:
the gearbox is a bit lumpy but improves with use
it is funny how relative perception is... the 2 i rode today had WAAAAAAAAY better gear boxes than my last bike... a Buell :jest:

thanks for the rundown, i think i found a private party 2004 that is worthe the extra scrilla i've just got to get to it before someone else does.

·
Registered
828 Posts
something that i thought about.. it seems that 2002 models are the only ones that didn't have the single sided swing arm. the 2002 used bike at CalMoto has a single sided swing arm, and it's an anniversary eddition? at least it has the badge on the tank: Centenary Edition. did these have the single sided arm? did someone do some parts swapping?

the 02 was the only year to have a double sided swing arm...but....since the 2002 year was the centenary edition. they knew the single sided swing arm bikes were wanted...so they sold the centenary ed. bikes as single sided....otherwise the regular 02 models came with double sided...after the 02 year...they went back to single sided...looks better, and people wanted it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
My two cents: which-ever one you end-up with, you will be extremely pleased :razz: I love my '02 - put over 7k miles on it the first year - and have no desire to trade it in for another street-bike. This forum is one reason I enjoy the bike so much. Questions are taken seriously and answered quickly without insults. Thanks guys and have a great ride.... :cool:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
the 02 was the only year to have a double sided swing arm...but....since the 2002 year was the centenary edition. they knew the single sided swing arm bikes were wanted...so they sold the centenary ed. bikes as single sided....otherwise the regular 02 models came with double sided...after the 02 year...they went back to single sided...looks better, and people wanted it.
i mentioned it to the sales dude, he came up with the same answer after digging through old literature. thanks :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts