Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking about buying a used 2009 Street Triple R here in Ontario.

The bike was imported from New York by the current owner and I have some reservations about buying a bike that was originally from the States; probably silly I know.

I was just wondering if anyone knows if there are any differences between bikes that were destined for Canada vs. the U.S. Are units in the gauge cluster switch-able between metric and imperial (miles to km's, ºF to ºC)?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
I skimmed through the manual, but I can't find how to switch the units...? (although my vision is going in my old age). I was pretty sure that they can be modified.. maybe someone else will have the answer, sorry!

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
There should be no difference. On my 2010 R you can switch between Imperial and metric units no problem. You should be careful if the bike was owned by a young guy driving the hell out of it (burn-outs, wheelies, etc) and did not maintain it. Check front forks for leaking seals. Keep in mind it needs a valve clearance servicing at 20,000 kms ($400-600) and if it has the old rectifier/regulator it should be replaced with the upgraded kit T1301234 ($220). The chain and sprockets may need replacement if mileage is high (around $300). Make sure it has an oil change with synthetic motorcycle oil and the coolant has been changed. Fun bike though. - Wayne :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm interested in what kind of price you paid?

The units are switchable, refer to this owner's manual on the triumph site: http://www.triumph.co.uk/media/StreetTriple_OHB_UK.pdf
Enjoy!
I haven't purchased the bike yet, but the asking price is roughly $7500 CAN and it includes the 3-into-1 arrow exhaust, tank and tail bag, and a sargent seat. ~13,000km on the bike.

I thought it was a reasonable deal. Opinions?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I haven't purchased the bike yet, but the asking price is roughly $7500 CAN and it includes the 3-into-1 arrow exhaust, tank and tail bag, and a sargent seat. ~13,000km on the bike.

I thought it was a reasonable deal. Opinions?
When I looked last year I only found one used triple in the province lol.. I ended up buying new instead. You've got a couple thousand bucks in extras on that.. I would have bought it!

·
Registered
215 Posts

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Sounds like a pretty decent deal to me if it was properly maintained and not abused; sounds like he was using it for touring. The Arrow system is $1300 and the excellent Sargent seat (which I have) is $500. Price new for the bike in Canada is $11300 plus shipping and dealer prep and taxes. Expect to spend some money on it for new tires, oil and coolant changes, and the valve servicing at 20,000kms. Make sure the engine runs smoothly with no strange noises and absolutely no blue smoke. 13000kms is just broken in. - Wayne :)

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Oh yeah, I forgot. When buying a pre-owned vehicle you need to verify that there is not a bank lien on it, or make arrangements that it is paid off on purchase of the machine. It is not pleasant to get a letter from a bank demanding payment a few months later and the previous owner is nowhere to be found. - Wayne

1 - 9 of 9 Posts