Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what the end result is from fitting a pair of touring bars onto a standard RIII.

I'm looking for a slightly swept back position for the bars, the touring bars look like they might be more swept back than the regular bars; but it's difficult to judge without going into a dealership and just sitting on a tourer?

Just out of interest, I assume that they are standard 1" diameter bars?

Any advice from anyone who's been this route appreciated.

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dougl,

Did you have to extend the cables, wiring, etc, or did the originals fit?

Do you have a link for these bars?

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dougl,

Great thanks for this info, any chance of uploading a couple of pictures of the bars fitted to your bike. Also, where did you get your new control cables, and did you need to extend the electrical cables / connectors.

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
http://www.triumphrat.net/photogallery/v/member/album789/album05/

The first picture 4 pictures in my gallery show how high and how far back they go. My dealer put the cables on - brake and/or throttle. My receipt doesn't specify. You could call Freedom cycle in Reno (775-358-3500) and try to pry the info out of them. This was almost 5 years ago. No changes to electrical cables. The grips are much closer together than stock. They just about hit the tank - but won't unless you really rack up the bike. A potential problem is that because the grips are closer together, your wrists are cocked to the right. It could be a problem for some people. You might also consider the buckhorn bar style on the Flanders metric site. I've had these on a HD. Your wrists are less cocked and the hand position (plane of your hand) is more perpendicular to the ground.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dougl,

Pretty cool looking bike, it's funny but I'd say that your bars (in picture 4) look wider than the stock ones fitted; but the width of the Ultra Classic Style Narrow bars are 31", where as the stock on mine are 34" (tip-to-tip). It must be an optical illusion as the centre part of the Flanders bar is much wider than stock.

Given that the RIII uses standard 1" dia bars, at a guess do you think most HD bars might also fit the RIII risers as well ?

Thanks for the advice, I'll have to pass on the dealer in Reno, it's a little far for me as I'm based in the UK :) Nice looking original Bonnie (I think) from the 70's!!

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
When the wheel is turned all the way, the grip is almost touching the tank. The cable issue is pretty minor. I'm sure any decent bike mechanic could do it. (That excludes me)

I don't know the diameter of stock HD, but the Flanders bars are 1".

·
Registered
690 Posts
You ain't talking to me, but I do have an answer.
Yes the H-D bars will fit.
I have the harley buckhorns and they're real comfortable for me.
Only thing you need to do is rerout your clutch cable and throttle cables,
and buy a new (longer) brake line from the banjo to the lever.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheers Xhdskip,

I thought that HD bars might fit. One question, you mention extending the brake line from the banjo to the lever?

On my standard RIII, the brake line goes front the lever to a spliter unit located just under the lower Yoke and from there it splits into two hoses, one for each caliper.

Did you have to replace the whole stock brake hose line and fit a pair of new hoses from the lever to each caliper?

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi Steve,
I have adjusted my Classic Rocket handlebars. I had them bent some. A little bit more pull back and a little bit more angle at the grip bend. I also have a set of Rivco rizers, they lift and set the bars back some. I am going to replace my brake lines and run two seperate lines off the front master brake cylinder. Might install them tomorrow night. Getting the Goodridge brand of brake lines and fittings.
My handle bars have a spread of 32" center to center at the end of the rubber grip, not including the grip tip. I thought the brake line was to snug in a tight turn. So I am replacing them.

odie

·
Registered
690 Posts
Nope Steve,
just the one line from the "splitter" UP to the grip.
From the "splitter" down, you don't need to mess with.
I'd tell you how long you need with buckhorns, but if I did,
it'd probably be wrong and I don't want to lead you wrong.
As you're probally aware, there's several sizes of buckhorn bars.
Good luck, let us know how it goes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts