Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm thinking of replacing my ageing Sprint with a Speedmaster, as a twin air-cooled newbie, can someone let me know some idea of the following:

1. What year did Triumph stop making the carb model and switch to EFi?

2. I guess at the same time the engine displacement increased, if so, what's the power / MPG difference between the two models?

3. Any known issues that I should keep an eye out when looking for a good second-hand Speedmaster?

Cheers,
Thanks for any help,
Steve

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
They just changed to EFI in '08 for some countries and '09 is the first EFI year for the states. The engine size changed to 865 in '05. You'll have to see if someone else can answer the MPG and power questions, that is if you can find someone who's had both. The people i've talked to who have ridden both seem to think the EFI is a much smoother bike in that power delivery is much more linear. They don't seem to think the power difference is much, but triumph's specs show 7 more HP and a bit more torque at a lower RPM. Why no one seems to notice i dunno unless triumphs specs are BS. Personally, i'd go for EFI in a nanosecond. There are nothing but advantages aside from working on the EFI yourself IMO.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dazco,

Since the power diff is so slight, I think I'll plmp for an EFi model, just to avoid the carb maint issues.

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have an 08 america and have been looking to up my carbs to FI . Been waiting for a wrecked America or Seedy to come my way

1 - 4 of 4 Posts