Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my ARK on and my Wassells and originally rejetted to 128/42 and the bike ran good but no better than when I had just the TORS on.

So I pm'ed a few members who gave me some good advice and I rejetted to 140/42 and holy man was I pleasantly surprised.

Now it pulls like crazy right up to redline. Now it performs like what a 900cc bike should perform like. I roared away onto the highway and opened it up and I literally slid back in my seat and had to scoot myself forward.

The sound is mellower now but wonderfully full with some load.

The only bad thing is one of my float bowl screws for some reason stripped out one of the holes on the carb body and only has about three threads left. So bizarre because I am very carefull and have all allen head stainless bolts in there, but when I took that one out threads where stuck in the threads from the carb body. I took the lock washer off and it snugged down but I am going to have to retap it out and maybe use a touch of locktite.

Oh and throttle cables......grrrrr it takes more time to set them up properly then the whole rejet process.

Anyway - she is rejetted and one quick little machine now. :)

·
30,525 Posts
Nice one Calliway. I am enjoying my bike in a similar way.....it's all good stuff! :D

EDIT: by the way that metal is soft as soft can be. The threads can pull out in an instant with that stuff, even when you have been very careful with it. They are not really made to be constantly fiddled with, but we do it anyway - 'cos that's what we like!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Great job Calliway. Glad you got the jetting sorted out. I am envious of the way you guys with carbed bikes can get in there and tune them to your heart's desire. I am afraid it will be a while before the tricks are learned that will produce similar results for the EFI bikes.

·
30,525 Posts
Well I have to follow up - I've been testing my bike too. Now that I have the clutch springs sorted out, I did more testing and I have basically got the main jet right and the needle set up, I am confident the pilot is OK, all I have left is a stumble at idle when the bike is fully up to temp. It starts really easily, even when its really cold, and when it is fully at temperature, when I blip the the throttle the revs die right down and take a while to come back to 1000 rpm.

And not a hint of popping from my predators.

Everything here tells me the mixture screws are set to rich, so that's the next adjustment.

Then I should be in good shape. I am amazed at how well the bike pulls now though - fanatastic. I took it to work today and just had a fantastic ride home. I love my bike.

I can see my rear tyre consumption increasing with the twistier use of the throttle I am now enjoyning so much........:D

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
See this is the stuff that bugs me. Where as Easy would like carbs I would like efi. I am far more comfortable working on efi bikes. I am piffed at now having to fix lousy pot metal and don't trust that bolt.

I would rather just plug my bike in and load a map or tweak a setting then all this other finicky stuff. I like it when the vehicle is acting up to be able to plug it in and see everything that is going on.

Maybe if I go and strip out all the carb holes I can get new carbs.....

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Throttle cables huh?
Are you taking your carbs out every time to rejet?

Totally not necessary.
I've had my carbs apart a dozen times in the last year and the carbs have never left the bike, and I've never taken the tank off (to rejet).

You just need a ratchet screwdriver for the main, and a short stubby one for the pilot.
For my pilot, I bought one of those $1 drivers they have in a can on the counter at the hdwr store, the little pocket size one with a slot on one end of the rod and a phillips on the other. I just cut off the phillips end so that the whole thing will fit under the carbs, and it works like a charm.

Once you've done it a few times you'll be able to rejet and get going again in under 30 minutes.
-K

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
Well I have to follow up - I've been testing my bike too. Now that I have the clutch springs sorted out, I did more testing and I have basically got the main jet right and the needle set up, I am confident the pilot is OK, all I have left is a stumble at idle when the bike is fully up to temp. It starts really easily, even when its really cold, and when it is fully at temperature, when I blip the the throttle the revs die right down and take a while to come back to 1000 rpm.

And not a hint of popping from my predators.

Everything here tells me the mixture screws are set to rich, so that's the next adjustment.
I agree, sounds rich on the idle mix.

·
Registered
387 Posts
See this is the stuff that bugs me. Where as Easy would like carbs I would like efi.

Maybe if I go and strip out all the carb holes I can get new carbs.....
It's not that I would prefer carbs... what I was trying to say is I think carbs give you more options right now for serious performance tuning and HP gains by allowing the bikes to breathe better.

As far as the stripped carb hole... when I first read that it had happened I said to myself... there's an excuse for some hot new carbs.:D

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's not that I would prefer carbs... what I was trying to say is I think carbs give you more options right now for serious performance tuning and HP gains by allowing the bikes to breathe better.

As far as the stripped carb hole... when I first read that it had happened I said to myself... there's an excuse for some hot new carbs.:D

Easy,
My apologies. My post sounded like it was your comments that bugged me and that is not it at all. I understood what you where saying and it was the finicky stuff that comes with carbs that bugs me and not your comment.

I only took the carbs all the way out because I had some other work on them I needed to do. My float bowls and carb toppers are black and needed to do a bit of touch up on them so I took the carbs all the way out.

Yes, I would love some performance carbs. The carbs that Flaco go are the ones that intrigue me.

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
I would prefer EFI also. Soon there will be tons of aftermarket technologies to fine tune throttle bodies, injectors TPS's and coordination with ignition advance mapping, etc. Our "retro" bonnies are one of the last of the modern bikes to retain carburetors. This should be ton's of fun to mess with. Nothing wrong with carbs, but EFI is great too.

"Wassellng" - Is this the same as in the Christmas song - "Here we go a-wasseling?", are there "reindeer games" involved?

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep I totally agree Gob, give it a year and there will be a ton of EFI goodies for these bikes.

Yes, I go a wasselling along everytime I fire up the Bonnie - HA!

·
30,525 Posts
Thought I would follow up again. It was a bit on the cool side this morning, but I froze my arse off and rode to work so that I could enjoy a nice test ride home. Did about 70 miles, and I must say my bike is running really well, and I am very happy. I turned in the mixture screws, and my idle stumble has now gone away.

The bike is incredibly responsive, and pulls really well - you can really feel the difference in power, and if you let the bike really rev it just takes off, making the front end very light.

What fun! I now get some popping from the preds when closing the throttle off, but it does not seem excessive - just the right character in fact.

The ARK was a brilliant change and I'm glad I did it.

My set up is now ARK, Predators, AI removed, 42/145/-1.5, with dynojet needles and springs, clip on position 5 from the top.

·
Registered
135 Posts
dangit Gob, ya beat me to the christmas joke... lol.. good on ya.

Calliway.. if 140s do ya that way, just imagine what 160s would do... *brows*

·
30,525 Posts
I have a pair of 150's - I am tempted to try those to see if I go into a bogging down type region, given that the 145s were so much better than 140's. :cool:

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think the 160's might be to much of a good thing. ;)

I'll know if I have to go bigger when she goes on the Dyno. For now the 140's will just have to do.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hi Calliway, I run 42 pilots, 140 mains & 2 turns out on the screws I'm at sea level. The bike doesn't miss a beat. The bike is a 270 degree engine some fellows go a little richer but, I'm not planning on floating the valves every time I ride the bike.I have the British Customs nark kit. Oops I just commented on the in take system! Oh well, according to Ventura I'm close on The jetting.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah same set up as me but on the 360 engine. I wonder how much difference that makes? It pulls hard right up to redline so I can't complain.

I am going to dyno it just to make sure its perfect and have the dyno pick up things my butt can't.

I am at 2000ft above sea level and am at 2.5 turns out.

·
30,525 Posts
I'm going to put mine on the dyno too. I have one of the innovate a/f gauge datalogging systems, and I am hoping to do any fine tuning via that first, but I have been having issues with it.....

When I get it all resolved I will be posting about it, naturally.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts