Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came back after my first test ride after adding Dunstall mufflers, Polaris bellmouth, and jetting [120 main, 3 turns, 1 shim, 3mm slide hole]. What a difference, the power is better all over the rpm range, but really picks up on top! Before this I never wound it much past 6 grand, but now it pulls strong deep into the red zone. I'm glad that I finally got off the fence and took the plunge. If anyone else is still pondering this one, I say Jump in, the water's fine!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
My, My...would you believe that ditching the airbox and proper jetting would give you 4 times as much?:D Come on over to the dark side and let your creamsickle bonnie breath.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My, My...would you believe that ditching the airbox and proper jetting would give you 4 times as much?:D Come on over to the dark side and let your creamsickle bonnie breath.
Boy, you guys are starting to get to me, I'll have to remain on the fence for that one for a while. Prepping the racebike will soon take over all my time&$, I'm getting my ass kicked out on the salt by a Trident from Canada. Say Larry, did you used to ramble around Oklahoma on a V7 Sport? Have fun, Tom

·
Registered
395 Posts
I started out pretty much like you did with Predators,K&N, NH Bellmouth,3 turns, and 130 mains. Felt like a new bike!! Believe me when I tell you, DITCH THE AIRBOX. You will get another big boost and it will really tach out quickly. I've got it bad now. I am getting ready to order the parts for a 904 and I already plan on getting a stroker crank next winter. It's a disease!! I swore I wouldn't do it with this bike.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Good to hear. Are those Dunstall mufflers the cheap $50 ones, like from JC Whitney? How do they sound?

Oh, take out the restrictor plate. It makes a big difference, is free and easy..

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good to hear. Are those Dunstall mufflers the cheap $50 ones, like from JC Whitney? How do they sound?

Oh, take out the restrictor plate. It makes a big difference, is free and easy..
Nope, these are the real deal, nos, made in old blighty, found them on eBay at Christmastime, so Trumpy got a present! They are fairly loud, but not like Predators, sounds powerful. They are a little louder that I like for the street, so I am scheming on cutting my stockers open and seeing if I can stuff a 3X12" glasspack in there, I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I have a set of gutted stockers, they are good... take out the rear baffle and pound a rebar through the other baffles.. no need to remove them, they are thin, just puch through them. When you can see daylight , you are there...

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Flyingmerkel,

It wasn't me on the V7 Sport. I rode an old 66 BSA Hornet for many years. I spent 24 years in Salt Lake City, Utah, and rode dirt bikes in the mountains with my kids when they got old enough to ride.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts