Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new, dry battery for my Thruxton and while multitasking, I sealed it after filling with with the battery acid. Then remembered I was supposed to charge before sealing. Efffff!

I haven’t charged yet - is this battery going to be a problem now. Battery is Yuasa ytx-12bs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, maybe my panic is premature. It charged up and I’ll put it on the bike tomorrow. Time will tell.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
FWIW, I've bought one from the dealer, acid was added at time of sale and sealed, and then charged it myself. The dealer forgot to prep it after I called, it wasn't ready when I came in some hours later, and that's how I got it.

It died three years later, but that was after I'd also had some ignition troubles and engine stops and multiple restart attempts which I'm sure were hard on it. So three years was fine.

I did that with the new battery that I put in this past spring also. Dealer added the acid, sealed it, and I took it home and charged it.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'd just keep an eye on the cap while it's charging. If gas builds up too much it might lift the cap a bit, but it should be just fine. I've done the same thing with no issues.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Charged it up and seal was still tight. Installed and put back on smart charger overnight. I’ll ride this evening and see how it goes. Thanks for all the feedback.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
I repeatedly bought batteries at the dealer, just put the acid inside, mounted it to the bike and went off - no damage and long troublefree battery life.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
I just purchased a BS12 battery and instructions said to 1. Put in the acid 2. Let it sit for 20 minutes and 3. Snap on the cover then charge?

·
Driftless Admin
11,665 Posts
I just purchased a BS12 battery and instructions said to 1. Put in the acid 2. Let it sit for 20 minutes and 3. Snap on the cover then charge?
Wait a minute! You read the manual? That is totally cheating, and informed opinions will not be tolerated on this forum! :AUP

:D

Heh, that's funny, I assumed you needed to leave the top on loosely when commissioning. Not sure what I did last time, probably what the manual said ;) Forchetto posted these instructions a while ago, they agree with what you see: https://www.triumphrat.net/water-cooled-twins-technical-talk/879681-replacement-battery.html#post2003260481

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I dumped the acid in the battery, sealed it up, then set it aside for charging later. Guess I’ll find out if I’ve hurt the battery life. So far, so good as a noticeable improvement in start up!

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Wait a minute! You read the manual? That is totally cheating, and informed opinions will not be tolerated on this forum! :AUP

:D
Haha,

If i didn't read them, i probs would have drank the acid and put the charger on the bike handle bars. I know nothing!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts