Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I admit to being a dangerous mechanic...that is...I really don't "know" what I am doing, but try to fix most things myself (therein can lies the danger!)

I changed my air filter recently and "think" I reconnected these fuel hoses correctly. and they seem to match up with the schematic but could someone with better actual knowledge or a 2001 ST double check me on it please?

Thanks,
M

Here is a link to the schematic: http://www.bikebandit.com/showschematic/m17621sch567217

And here are my connections:

As you may have read my 2001 st mpg took a huge dive and is still in the crapper at mid to high 30's :confused: and I have yet to find the fix. In my efforts I changed the air filter to a K&N but that didnt help either. I tried replacing the fuel connector o-ring but the "correct" one from Triumph...is NOT the correct one...fortunately the one on there seems to be leak free (I hope). (My guess is that when they did the recall service to fix the connector the OEM parts no longer apply) The next thing on the list is checking the plugs, after that...I guess its take it to the dealership and bend over for the financial abuse. :(

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
??? is that the bare metal tube??? maybe that's my issue! I cant find any spare hoses anywhere...where does that thing run to / from!?

Eeeek!

Thanks OND (et. al)...and ANY help with where to locate that will be greatly appreciated! Btw that metal tube has been un-connected for some time now (before I changed the air filter) so I thought it was just "how it should be"

·
Registered
322 Posts
??? is that the bare metal tube??? maybe that's my issue! I cant find any spare hoses anywhere...where does that thing run to / from!?

Eeeek!

Thanks OND (et. al)...and ANY help with where to locate that will be greatly appreciated! Btw that metal tube has been un-connected for some time now (before I changed the air filter) so I thought it was just "how it should be"
I thought the same thing. "Where is this hose, where did it go??" when replacing my fuel-filter about a year after I bought it. (my factory service manual showed it there)
My (very helpful and knowledgable) dealer-technition informed me when i rang him about this, that Triumph discontinued the use of said hose as the factory tech's deemed this item as unneeded.

Your good to go, more than likely didnt have it when you bought the bike.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought the same thing. "Where is this hose, where did it go??" when replacing my fuel-filter about a year after I bought it. (my factory service manual showed it there)
My (very helpful and knowledgable) dealer-technition informed me when i rang him about this, that Triumph discontinued the use of said hose as the factory tech's deemed this item as unneeded.

Your good to go, more than likely didnt have it when you bought the bike.

Ah ok...and while I really apreciate the info...dang it....I was all excited thinking I had solved my dropping mpg issue lol ah well back to the drawing board. :)

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Triumph discontinued the use of said hose as the factory tech's deemed this item as unneeded.
:Dang: Hope that counts as my 'doh' of the day. I'm in such a habit of not having open connections that I noticed the open port and totally forgot how the system worked.

But, I would re-clock it so that it pointed down, or at least to the rear.

·
Registered
322 Posts
:Dang: Hope that counts as my 'doh' of the day. I'm in such a habit of not having open connections that I noticed the open port and totally forgot how the system worked.

But, I would re-clock it so that it pointed down, or at least to the rear.
Actually, the way he has his aimed is exactly how the dealer-tech instructed me to aim mine. He noted it as 'around 3-o'clock position'. (I did the same worrying Mmagus did, so I asked my dealer mech lotz a questions)

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Gotta disagree with that on principle.

Open ports are always oriented down or away from direction of travel unless otherwise instructed.

In this case, I found that the shop manual states:

Fit the pressure regulator, with the hose spigot pointing downwards, and retain with a new circlip. (pg. 9.82)

Does it matter? Most likely not.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hey thats cool, any help is always appreciated. But not only did I place mine the way my dealer tech told me (which coincidently...is the direction I found it upon removing the tank), my factory service- manual shows it in that very same direction...3-o'clock. I tend to leave things how I found them, unless there is something really wrong.

But you are right OnD, in that very same conversation (with my dealer tech), when he recommended the position indicated he did also mention that "its position is not overly critical".

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Well that is pretty consistent with what we have already learned about Triumph manual accuracy, isn't it.

I took another look and found three different illustrations, with the spigot pointed in two different directions. :D

I agree the position is insignificant, given that it is in a relatively protected area.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Geez, if you figure out how to get better mileage lemme know. Mine runs from 35-38 mpg consistently. I've tried a number of things. But, I think my 7-9 mile commute, in traffic, is the culprit.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Geez, if you figure out how to get better mileage lemme know. Mine runs from 35-38 mpg consistently. I've tried a number of things. But, I think my 7-9 mile commute, in traffic, is the culprit.
Thats the strange thing...I was getting 46-50 consistently...till a month ago. I will keep you updated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts