Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Did I kill my ‘06 T100???

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Sal Paradise 
#1 ·
I am falling on my sword here and admitting my massive mistake. Last fall, I was gonna take my 2006 Bonneville T100 out for a ride before putting it up for the winter. I started it up, ran inside my house to do a couple things, and got distracted by my toddler, forgetting that I left the bike running. After about an hour of reading books trying to put him down for a nap, I remembered my bike and ran outside to find a smoking, pinging, knocking bike. I switched the engine off and let it cool down and that was the last sound it made. It won’t crank and doesn’t make any sound whatsoever when hitting the ignition (battery tendered). I drained the oil and it was dark and thick. Could I have overheated the engine to the point of no return? Before I have a mechanic take it apart (and start running a bill), what are the chances I’ll get this thing to crank again?

#4 ·
Suspect you over heated and melted the oil pump drive gear and lost oil pressure. Certainly does not sound good.
As they stated already - It's engine rebuild or replacement time.
That's a shame. Tough lesson.

#5 ·
So sorry to hear you did that. You're not the first, if that's any consolation.

#6 ·
Thanks for the responses. A friend here in Nashville may be able to help me pull the engine and either rebuild or replace. If anyone knows of any quality '01-'08 engines available, please let me know. I'm a little nervous just buying from ebay as I just won't know what I would be getting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.