Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
When I first test rode the Thunderbird, I thought the first thing I’m going to do is replace the seat. It was bloody hard! I ended up buying an Airhawk seat. The local retailer, offered a one month trial and if I didn’t like it, he would fully refund me. I put it on at the retailer’s shop and before I’d made it home, I decided I wouldn’t be seeking a refund as it was so comfortable.

After around 50 - 60k, I left the Airhawk off one day after washing the bike. I took the bike for a ride and found the seat had obviously soften up and was so comfortable, I haven’t used the Airhawk since. My point is that perhaps the seat needs to be “broken in “?

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
I must agree with PapasmurfMC. The Mustang seat made it possible for me to do 600+ mile days easily. Before that I bought every other seat Triumph offered and none worked as well as the Mustang.
My story exactly. Started stock, tried one piece Long Haul, then went 2 piece Mustang. Mustang rules for me and passenger.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The made for this bike model ikon shocks are a bit better then the ohlins. Need to change the pre-load and rebound around to see if I can set it up any better

·
Registered
425 Posts
I know this is a seat thread but Ikon shocks were mentioned with respect to riding comfort. The OEM shocks spec 3.7" of travel but the Ikons spec (and was confirmed to me by Ikon to be) 2.2" of travel. That's a really big difference and why I went with Hagon Nitros [5 years ago]; took some initial tweaking but still no complaints.
The [pre-Commander] stock TBird seat was a killer, for sure. Haven't found anything better than a Mustang and if you really want to be decadent, get the backrest. Does require some break-in.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So ikon was not the shock to get after being told is was the shock to get... :(
Well who wants 2 sets of shock for a bike other then a thunderbird?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Plenty of people like the feel of the Ikons. If your road conditions are good and you're not doing a lot of spirited technical riding, stick with them; they could work out for you.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Oddly I find it annoying on the good A roads, when I get on the worse condition B/C roads and do a lot of spirited technical riding I find them better.
A lot of people mention the mustang seat

·
Registered
325 Posts
"A lot of people mention the mustang seat". It's very common and readily available. For example,I got the one on my Vulcan as a used one for $150.
It had been crashed and was buggered a bit on a small part of the right side. I got one of the auto seat repair kits and fixed it.

JJ
IMG_5111.JPG

21 - 35 of 35 Posts