Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The previous week my work was "moved" from Oslo to a small town named Bø. Being accustomed to a short stroll to the office, it was an experience to ride to work most days. Ofcourse, my "firm" provided accomodation in Bø, but having a month old son gave me both the inspiration, and the alibi, to ride home most days. So from Monday through Sunday I rode five round trips.

The shortest route is 143 km one way. I only did that once. Most days I would ride longer routes both there and back. The longest round trip was over 450 kms. Some of the roads I have done before, and some of the roads were new to me.

As I have a "MC-map of Norway" there were a few recommended routes that I wanted to try. Only one of those were not good - and that one was abso-fricking-lutely-insane! Horrible surface, etc.

Every day I had to ride from Oslo to Drammen via the Highway. But from there I took lots of different routes.

First round trip took me South there and North back. Parts of it went through "Henry's territory". Most of it was on nice twisty roads. Just a little bit of Highway in the beginning.

Second day was almost like the first, but in reverse, and with several differences. Amongst those was the fantastic route South from Siljan, which Henry showed me a few weeks ago. Great stuff.

The third roundtrip was one of the longest. It also took me along some really, REALLY twisty roads (306). Some of these roads (like the one furthest North) pass along beatyful waters, lakes, and rivers. Stunning.

The Fourth roundtrip was the longest. I rode the furthest West, and that was along some stunning roads. One of which I have done before (along the Seljord lake, in which there is a relative to the Loch Ness monster).

Also South-West of Bø I rode the absolutely worst road ever. And what do I pass there ?? An idiot on a Harley, wearing nothing but half-helmet, shorts and flipflops.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The last roundtrip was neccessarily roads already travelled, but very nice anyway. By the end of the week the temperatures were up to 30 C, so I didn't choose any of the long options.

The weather was stunning all week long, so there were plenty of options for shots like this:

With typical roads like this, twisting off into the forest:

Some areas are popular for recreational homes. Many are built with traditional log-cabin techniques. This one was for sale. Anyone interested?

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fortunately, my "work" time was not all spent in an office or anything like that. We even had time to do some recreational activities. One day two colleagues and I took off in one of the electric cars. Some of the locals had told me about the best lakes for swimming this early in the season. It turned out to be such a great spot that the secretary (in the second photo) and I went back the next day also ;)

Some of the roads were not all that wide. In fact, quite a few of them were so narrow that they didn't have any middle markings. In addition I must have turned a thousand blind corners during the week.

Good thing all the Moose were in the forests, and not strolling along in the roads.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is one side of a small pass:

And this is the other:

I also stopped by a Stave Church. This one - the Høijord Stavkirke - was started approx 1150 ad. The stave churches are considered by some to be the only true Norwegian contribution to world arcitecture. Many of them are adorned by beautiful wood carvings of dragons, warriors, kings, and such. Unfortunately, they were built in wood, and impregnated with tar. So many have burned down, and there are not many left.

All in all it was a great week. I worked a bit up there, got to spend quality time with my family, and rode some great roads in sunny, warm weather. How can you beat that?

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
sorry double post

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Thanks for sharing the roadtrip details and the photos. That cabin for sale (growing roof) and church photos are fantastic. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Good report & pics! Thanks for posting.

DaveB.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts