Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides my Triumphs I have recently restored a BSA A65. I replaced the head bearings, fork bushings etc but the handling is totally scary, like riding with overtight head bearings, tires at 100psi and on ice. The treads are perfect but I do not know how old these tires are. I suspect them because there is no date code after the DOT as on modern tires. Do any of the numbers on these tires mean anything, like the 6 digit number after "made in England"? Hate to spend $250 on tires then find thats not the problem

·
Registered
970 Posts
Do the tyres feel hard or slippery? Check them carefully for any signs of cracking ( as an excuse to change them). What make/model are they? That may give us a clue as to their age. I can say I had an Avon Venom on my BMW which was desperately bad to ride on, so much so I blamed the bike, When I changed it for a new Metzler it made a fantastic difference. Hard rubber though makes it feel as you are riding on black ice.
No need to go to a super road racing tyre. The chen Shin ( spelling? ) tyres are better than the originals and are not prone to failure. Avaiable in most of the old sizes and with similar tread patterns but better quality rubber.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
I suspect them because there is no date code after the DOT as on modern tires.
Even though the DOT markings are on both sides of the tire, the date code is usually only marked on one side.

Check the corresponding DOT marking on the opposite side.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I wont ride on old tires...they get hard and slippery no matter how much wear they've got.If the handling is scary,swap out the tires....its the first thing you dont want to be cheap with.You can probably pick up a set of Avon RoadRiders for less than than 200$

1 - 4 of 4 Posts