Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm removing my stock exhaust pipes today. exactly how do you remove the pipe where it meets the frame near the brake pedal? I can't seem to find a way to get to it. also what tool ashould I be using.

thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
10,209 Posts
It seems a bit involved according to my Haynes manual. You really should get a copy for yourself. The short version follows. I haven't done this and can't vouch for the procedure.

There's also a series of instructions for re-installing everything. It would be prudent to torque everything properly when re-assembling it. Replace the gaskets between the pipes and the head; replace the rubber bushes if they are deteriorated.

>Remove silencers. Remove right side cover. Remove sprocket cover.

>Disconnect the brake master cylinder connection to the brake pedal by removing the pin.

>Slacken the swingarm pivot clamp bolt in the right footrest bracket. Unscrew the footrest bracket bolts.

>Detach the master cylinder pushrod from the pedal and draw the bracket off the pivot, maneuvering it around the rod.

>Unscrew the bolt securing the rear of each downpipe to the frame.

Maybe someone who has done this can chime in with any additional information. The iffy point seems to be removing the nuts at the top of the pipes; hope that they're not stuck.

·
29,948 Posts
You're spot on Marty. I just did this job. It sounds involved but doesn't take very long.

Your summary covers it exactly.

+1 on getting the manual.

The bolt holding the header on behind all the footpeg and rear brake gubbins is just an allen head.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hm. Thanks for that summary. It will be helpful.

I wanted to buy a Haynes manual, but I couldn't find one for a 2008 Bonneville.

·
29,948 Posts
Haynes haven't released one for the 08 yet, but I think all the footpeg arrangement and header pipes are the same on the 08s as previous years, so a 2007 and older version would still work for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts