Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

relatively new thruxton owner here. I want to get a new exhaust that will unleash the beast, but I don't want it super loud (I'd like to remain on good terms with the neighbors.) I think I want to go with the reverse cone style so it seems like the basic choices are predators, epco, staintune, norman hyde and the belle corse megaphone. Please chime in and let me know your oponion.

thanks!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I ride the 2in1 Arrow system with the baffle removed. At first they seemed too loud but after riding with other guys who have some of the pipes you listed, they really aren't. Still, I roll my bike into the street before I start it up just to make sure i'm not waking anyone up. They are pricey but they're super light (especially the 2in1) and sound real sweet. You should also consider the Dominator Touring which are basically tamed down Predators.

·
Registered
104 Posts
yup dominator touring sounds like exactly what you want. Still have a nice tone too, and they give you a touch more torque than the Preds or Dom Sports . . .

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
I use the ubiquitous TORS. Realy not that loud until the throttle is yanked open. Can be ridden around on pretty quietly at low revs in higher gear.

·
Registered
487 Posts
yup dominator touring sounds like exactly what you want. Still have a nice tone too, and they give you a touch more torque than the Preds or Dom Sports . . .
Agreed the Triumph USA's Dominator Tours would be a good fit.

I installed BC Preds over the winter and I am very happy with them ,but have too admit I did not expect how loud they really were. :eek:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys

i was just checking out the dominators right after I made the post. does anyone have a video click or sound bit of them? I shouldn't be worries about them being too quiet, right?

also, who carries the TORS?

thanks!

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
Should be able to get Triumph Off Road silencers from a main Triumph dealer.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I've got the touring Dominators and I love them -- definitely not crazy loud, but much more pleasing than stock. They are louder than stock, of course, but the big difference is in just how deep the exhaust note is. I was in a parking garage last weekend and I just couldn't help blipping the throttle -- it sounded like a bear growling. Not harsh, but deep and authoritative.

And combined with an airbox elimination, the Thruxton actually acts like it should.

·
Registered
716 Posts
pipes

I have "Staintunes" they are pricey but the best in my opinion but less expensive are Epco and Predators with their stainless steel construction...stay with your stock headers and just get slip ons...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have "Staintunes" they are pricey but the best in my opinion but less expensive are Epco and Predators with their stainless steel construction...stay with your stock headers and just get slip ons...
how are they in regards to sound volume?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Staintunes sound

To me they are just the right classic sound not too loud at idle and just right at full chat or WFO, I can be stoped at a red light next to a police officer and still hear the officer say to me "nice bike" later when I open it up the Staintunes have a nice classic british twins bark to it but not too loud...there are video clips here and you can see them on the Saintune website but shop around there are alot of good videos of pipes here but you almost need to hear the real thing when your riding to know...but what ever p[ipe I prefer stainless steel.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i think i've decide to try to the dominator tourings. now, does anything know if i will have a problem fitting a center stand? triumph or norman hyde?
thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
why would you want a center stand on a thruxton? save yourself the money, extra weight and decreased clearance and just buy yourself a motorcycle jack or rear swingarm stand ($75-$95) for a fraction of the cost of a centerstand, plus i dont think a center stand will fit with preds or dominators.

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
its just as easy to put the bike up on a rear swingarm stand, and the stands cost less than half of a centerstand, plus with the swingarm stand you arent lugging around the extra weight. or get a motorcycle jack. the only thing with a jack is you cant change the oil with the jack, but it is very easy to perform an oil change with the bike on it's side stand. basically, for less than the price of a centerstand you could buy a harbor freight motorcycle jack and a lockhart-phillips rear swingarm stand and have all your bases covered!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Second That

Yes Sir, they, the Dominator Touring, sure sound like the ticket. Everything Bernie said, not nearly as loud at light throttle and idle, so you can slip out of the neighbor without upsetting anyone, but at full bore, sound is not any different than the Dom Sport/Pred sound.

Bonus, slight improved mid range torque.

I really like mine!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
im really thinking i could use a center stand on my bike now. im thinking about getting the norman hyde peashooter because they work with one, unlike the dominators. can anyone comment about the loudness and difference(s) between the two?

i could also make a way to have a center stand work with the doms but it be a bit more work than just slipping the pipes on...

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
IMO... nothing looks or sounds better than Staintune reverse cones. Like ocguyocguy says... "the right classic sound, not too loud at idle and just right at full chat or WOT". You can have a centerstand with them too.

·
Registered
616 Posts
IMO... nothing looks or sounds better than Staintune reverse cones. Like ocguyocguy says... "the right classic sound, not too loud at idle and just right at full chat or WOT". You can have a centerstand with them too.
A Staintune recommendation without a price warning is a bit incomplete, don't you think?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts