Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice. I've currently got one of the last 955i Daytona's (05 VIN with an 07 Registration) but its starting to get a little long in the tooth and I am thinking of getting a Triple.

Spoke to a guy who's selling a very reasonably priced Triple, 10 plate with low mileage and all the extra's (white stripe, fancy seat, arrow exhausts etc, etc, etc) that be bought from an insurance company.

It was a category D write-off, which means is the lowest of the categories and usually means it was cheaper to write off and sell it than repair it than anything else.

The guys being up front, the bike was dropped at low/now speed, damage was scuffed levers and engine casings - so far so good but wouldnt explain the write off.

That was because the garage quoting for the repair recorded a dent where the handlebars or triple tree's hit the frame near the headstock and put a dent "half the size of your pinkie nail" in the frame and quoted for a full frame replacement.

I just dont know enough about this type of damage to say if i should walk away or not. The seller seems genuine enough, retired one man bike shop owner, he says he spot welded the dent, ground it flush and then painted it.

Can anyone speak from a position of knowledge on whether i should even be considering this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd rather have seen it before it was 'repaired'
If as small as suggested why would you mess with it all?
The guy has said he'll email me before and after pictures so I'll be able to see if it was as minor as he's telling me.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spoke to the guy again last night, it looks like I misheard him, it wasnt a dent in the frame near the headstock, it was a dent in the frames steering stop. I've had a scout around and this seems to be a fairly common thing when dropped, so i'll go and take a look at the bike and see if there is a deal to be done.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Make sure "dent" doesn't really mean "crack" either. If it was just a small dent and he just did a base metal build up and then finished it, it may be OK, but if it was a crack I would be a little more wary.

What's the price on the bike just out of curiosity? Most instances where there is frame repair required ends up being a write off because even to paint it, many places require complete disassembly and reassembly of the bike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts