Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Denali Soundbomb Split Install on my 2020 RS (lots of pictures)

8K views 36 replies 7 participants last post by  Kraxmel 
#1 · (Edited)
I finally got around to installing the Denali Soundbomb Split I've had for longer than I care to admit. Thanks to @BKK Jack for sharing his install and suggesting a couple things I hadn't thought of.

From time to time, I've seen on various forums people asking if anyone has installed this horn on their bike and how they did it, so I thought I'd try to put together a post showing how I did it. I also took a crappy cellphone video so you can get an idea what it sounds like. If you watch it, trust me, it doesn't give the horn justice - it's MUCH louder and sounds awesome. In fact, it puts a smile on my face every time I hit the button. :love:

The basics of the install is this:
  • Wire an inline fuse and relay to a terminal block that'll provide power to the horn and other accessories I was wiring at the same time.
  • Mount the horn itself in the stock location.
  • Install the compressor under the pillion seat.
  • Wire everything up.
In addition to installing the horn, I also wanted to run a SAE connector to the front of the bike and wire up a Garmin GPS. That's why I included the terminal block and other wires you'll see below.

So, I started with removing the rear panels and cross member that the cowl and pillion seat lock into:

Test fitting the compressor and terminal block locations:

I cut off the attachment point on the compressor so that it would fit under the cross member:

I also ended up cutting out a couple of the plastic "things" that ended up getting in the way of the compressor:

As you can see, it fits nicely now:

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Continuing from the 1st post.

Next I had to make a mount for the horn itself. I picked up a rafter tie from Home Depot, bent and cut it to length then drilled a hole for the mounting screw to the original horn's mounting location and a couple holes so I could bolt the horn onto it. Unfortunately, I didn't get an up close picture of the horn attached to to the mount.

After I had the mount fab'd, it was time to install things.

First, I removed the gas tank and set it on the cat tree next to the bike:

Then I mounted the horn and ran air line/tube and horn wires from the wiring kit that came with the horn. I ran them along side the left side of the bike along the airbox and down and out the opening in the frame near the front of the bike. The plastic hole you'll see below is for the aux power kit you can buy for heated gear:

#3 · (Edited)
Continued:

The air tube that came came with the horn was a little short and I couldn't find anything suitable (in black) to replace it. So I picked up a union and some clear tubing to make it long enough:

From there it was time to wire up a 30 amp fuse, a relay, and the terminal block.

One leg of the fuse went to the positive terminal of the battery and I soldered the other end to one leg of the relay. The other end of the relay went to the terminal block to provide power to it. I wired the relay using the normally open leads and cut and "capped" the normally closed lead.

Next, I cut the wiring going to the license plate light and soldered in the leg of the relay that trips it when power is supplied. When the license plate light comes on, it causes the relay to close it's circuit and power flows through the relay. I also ran a negative line from the terminal block back to the negative terminal of the battery.

I then wired up the horn's wiring kit.

I ran the horn connection portion of the kit to the stock connectors in the stock location:

The power portion of the horn's wiring kit connected to the terminal block and the compressor end went to the compressor. The wires on the wiring kit are pretty long. I ended up shortening the wires going to compressor. The other wires I was able to hide away.

After that, I ran the SAE wires and Garmin wires from the terminal block and up the right side of the bike to the front and tested everything. After I knew it all worked, I wrapped the terminal block in hurricane tape and buttoned everything up. There was still enough room in the tail to put my flat kit, insurance card, and toll tag.

#4 · (Edited)
I mentioned in my first post that I took a crappy cellphone video to capture the sound. Here it is:

BTW, even with the 4' (roughly) of tubing, there is almost NO delay between when I hit the horn button and it going off. Also, the video doesn't give the sound justice! It's is VERY loud! (And, it puts a HUGE grin on my face every time I hit the button)

Hopefully these posts help if you decide to install the horn.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Reactions: S@ndman and nigelpm
#5 · (Edited)
Mods, feel free to delete this reply. (I can't find a delete button)

#6 ·
Well done, sir.

You will find that sneaking up behind friends and giving them a good blast never, ever gets old. :D

Reactions: Kraxmel
#8 ·
LOL... hard to say... the induction is AWESOME, but the horn makes me giddy in a sadistic sort of way. :devilish:

#9 ·
I gotta say, this is exactly the kind of post I was looking for. Very clean install. Can you post a pic from the front of the bike to see how big the horn looks.
Also reminded me to get a flat repair kit ;)

Thanks for a great post!
PS: Congrats on the new RS!

#10 ·
Thanks!

I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

#15 ·
I was looking at that and was thinking that would be a perfect place for the compressor. Even the same shape, but I wasn't completely sure what it was.

Maybe, when I feel as though that canister is what is slowing me down. ;)
That's kinda my feeling. It'll be a while. I've got a long ways to go to get better than this (or any) bike.

#19 · (Edited)
Thanks @Kraxmel looks really good.

Question. It looks like the horn is facing backwards. Wouldn't it had been better if it was facing forward with the same angle as the original? Did you put it this was to keep it dry?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
Yes, exactly. It's facing backwards in case I get caught in the rain. But, it is pointed slightly down, so hopefully the sound will bounce off the ground... not that it's needed... it's VERY loud. If someone doesn't hear it, they're deaf! :)

EDIT: Also, because of the radiator hose and needing room for the air line, the horn had to be at an angle and facing it forward would make it even easier for water to get in there. (hopefully that makes sense)

#25 ·
nice thorough install walk through!! I've had a better horn install in mind for a bit, just not motivated to mod this much. Though when I do mod things, has to be done like this!

By the way, you have a 2020 RS? *** happened to your tires? You eat through the pirelli's already?

#26 ·
By the way, you have a 2020 RS? *** happened to your tires? You eat through the pirelli's already?
Thanks. I took them off. I thought I was going on a 1600 mile trip this weekend and didn't want to waste them. I'll put them on before the track days in May.

#29 ·
Finished the install today. Installed the compressor exactly like you did. I did install the horn a little differently though. Used a flat corner brace so I could place the horn higher and oriented towards the engine, which makes it less visible.

This is what it looks like installed:

Went for the first ride of the year today and tested it. Man, that thing is so loud! I feel safer already...

Thanks again for the ideas. It was really useful.

#30 ·
Looks good S@ndman! Glad I could help some.

BTW, does it put a grin your face too when you hit the button? I know I giggle in my helmet. :)

#32 ·
LOL, that's awesome!

#33 ·
I know I'm late to the party. Your install looks sweet. The instructions for the horn specifically note a vertical requirement for the installation of the compressor with a acceptable variance of 25 degrees. Yours looks to be completely horizontal and seems to be fine. What are your thoughts on that? I'd like to mount mine under my seat also although I'm not rocking a Triumph.:)

#34 ·
I saw that in the instructions too but I've seen a couple installs and people put them horizontal with out problems. As of yesterday, when I was getting the inspection done, the service guy and I were still laughing our arses off every time we hit the button and one of the sales guys came out to find out what I had on my bike. :D

So, it's still working great! I wouldn't hesitate to install it horizontal.

On a side note, it's LOUD, but don't expect it to wake up every driver. On my way to the dealer, on the interstate, someone came over into my lane. They were slow about it and, really, it was a non-issue as I was able to move away from them. But, I laid on the horn and it didn't seem to get any reaction out of them. Unfortunately, it's a toss up whenever I use the horn if the driver will react to it or not. I don't know if they just don't hear things outside their cars (cars are getting quieter) or if they just ignore horns or what.

#37 ·
Awesome! Thanks for the replies. I've ordered the horn and I think it'll tuck nicely under the seat of my desert sled.
I'd say! You could fit a week's worth of groceries in there. :D

Good luck with the install!

Reactions: Beandout
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.