Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally got around to installing the Denali Soundbomb Split I've had for longer than I care to admit. Thanks to @BKK Jack for sharing his install and suggesting a couple things I hadn't thought of.

From time to time, I've seen on various forums people asking if anyone has installed this horn on their bike and how they did it, so I thought I'd try to put together a post showing how I did it. I also took a crappy cellphone video so you can get an idea what it sounds like. If you watch it, trust me, it doesn't give the horn justice - it's MUCH louder and sounds awesome. In fact, it puts a smile on my face every time I hit the button. :love:

The basics of the install is this:
  • Wire an inline fuse and relay to a terminal block that'll provide power to the horn and other accessories I was wiring at the same time.
  • Mount the horn itself in the stock location.
  • Install the compressor under the pillion seat.
  • Wire everything up.
In addition to installing the horn, I also wanted to run a SAE connector to the front of the bike and wire up a Garmin GPS. That's why I included the terminal block and other wires you'll see below.

So, I started with removing the rear panels and cross member that the cowl and pillion seat lock into:

Test fitting the compressor and terminal block locations:

I cut off the attachment point on the compressor so that it would fit under the cross member:

I also ended up cutting out a couple of the plastic "things" that ended up getting in the way of the compressor:

As you can see, it fits nicely now:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Continuing from the 1st post.

Next I had to make a mount for the horn itself. I picked up a rafter tie from Home Depot, bent and cut it to length then drilled a hole for the mounting screw to the original horn's mounting location and a couple holes so I could bolt the horn onto it. Unfortunately, I didn't get an up close picture of the horn attached to to the mount.

After I had the mount fab'd, it was time to install things.

First, I removed the gas tank and set it on the cat tree next to the bike:

Then I mounted the horn and ran air line/tube and horn wires from the wiring kit that came with the horn. I ran them along side the left side of the bike along the airbox and down and out the opening in the frame near the front of the bike. The plastic hole you'll see below is for the aux power kit you can buy for heated gear:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Continued:

The air tube that came came with the horn was a little short and I couldn't find anything suitable (in black) to replace it. So I picked up a union and some clear tubing to make it long enough:

From there it was time to wire up a 30 amp fuse, a relay, and the terminal block.

One leg of the fuse went to the positive terminal of the battery and I soldered the other end to one leg of the relay. The other end of the relay went to the terminal block to provide power to it. I wired the relay using the normally open leads and cut and "capped" the normally closed lead.

Next, I cut the wiring going to the license plate light and soldered in the leg of the relay that trips it when power is supplied. When the license plate light comes on, it causes the relay to close it's circuit and power flows through the relay. I also ran a negative line from the terminal block back to the negative terminal of the battery.

I then wired up the horn's wiring kit.

I ran the horn connection portion of the kit to the stock connectors in the stock location:

The power portion of the horn's wiring kit connected to the terminal block and the compressor end went to the compressor. The wires on the wiring kit are pretty long. I ended up shortening the wires going to compressor. The other wires I was able to hide away.

After that, I ran the SAE wires and Garmin wires from the terminal block and up the right side of the bike to the front and tested everything. After I knew it all worked, I wrapped the terminal block in hurricane tape and buttoned everything up. There was still enough room in the tail to put my flat kit, insurance card, and toll tag.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I mentioned in my first post that I took a crappy cellphone video to capture the sound. Here it is:

BTW, even with the 4' (roughly) of tubing, there is almost NO delay between when I hit the horn button and it going off. Also, the video doesn't give the sound justice! It's is VERY loud! (And, it puts a HUGE grin on my face every time I hit the button)

Hopefully these posts help if you decide to install the horn.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Mods, feel free to delete this reply. (I can't find a delete button)

·
Premium Member
8,448 Posts
Well done, sir.

You will find that sneaking up behind friends and giving them a good blast never, ever gets old. :D

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great post!
Which makes you smile more, induction or horn? 😉
LOL... hard to say... the induction is AWESOME, but the horn makes me giddy in a sadistic sort of way. :devilish:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I gotta say, this is exactly the kind of post I was looking for. Very clean install. Can you post a pic from the front of the bike to see how big the horn looks.
Also reminded me to get a flat repair kit ;)

Thanks for a great post!
PS: Congrats on the new RS!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I gotta say, this is exactly the kind of post I was looking for. Very clean install. Can you post a pic from the front of the bike to see how big the horn looks.

Thanks for a great post!
Thanks!

I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
8,448 Posts
LOL... hard to say... the induction is AWESOME, but the horn makes me giddy in a sadistic sort of way. :devilish:
I agree with this. They are different sorts of happy. Some day ask me about my induction story from the Cherohala (a rather famous road in the Smoky Mtns).

The horn. Oh, the horn. One day I was arriving at work, and saw a coworker - a big guy, probably 6'3" and 250 - with his back to me and head at the passenger window of another friend's car having a chat. It was slightly downhill to them, so I hit the kill switch and rolled up right behind him. Silent, stealthy, unseen. Then I laid on the horn, and laughed my ass off as he just about launched his giant frame through the passenger window. It was hilarious. For me.

·
Premium Member
8,448 Posts
Maybe, when I feel as though that canister is what is slowing me down. ;)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Thanks for a great post!
Here are some pictures. Hopefully they hep. It's not really noticeable from the front of the bike.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Get rid of the stupid charcoal canister and you will have more space under the seat...
I was looking at that and was thinking that would be a perfect place for the compressor. Even the same shape, but I wasn't completely sure what it was.

Maybe, when I feel as though that canister is what is slowing me down. ;)
That's kinda my feeling. It'll be a while. I've got a long ways to go to get better than this (or any) bike.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree with this. They are different sorts of happy. Some day ask me about my induction story from the Cherohala (a rather famous road in the Smoky Mtns).

The horn. Oh, the horn. One day I was arriving at work, and saw a coworker - a big guy, probably 6'3" and 250 - with his back to me and head at the passenger window of another friend's car having a chat. It was slightly downhill to them, so I hit the kill switch and rolled up right behind him. Silent, stealthy, unseen. Then I laid on the horn, and laughed my ass off as he just about launched his giant frame through the passenger window. It was hilarious. For me.
That's great. I park in a parking garage, so maybe I can pull this off someday and with the added acoustics of the garage, I'm guessing it'll be awesome!

BTW, you realize you need to tell us the induction story.

<pulls up a chair>

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks @Kraxmel looks really good.

Question. It looks like the horn is facing backwards. Wouldn't it had been better if it was facing forward with the same angle as the original? Did you put it this was to keep it dry?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,448 Posts
BTW, you realize you need to tell us the induction story.

<pulls up a chair>
First, let me explain that I dubbed my bike Nigel. It's more than a bit tongue in cheek, and chosen because a) people who name their bikes always give it a female name, and b) Nigel is a common enough name in Great Britain that those Aussies use it as a bit of a slur. Besides, I always get a bit of a chuckle whenever the faces of people who don't me hear me say, "man, I rode the s**t out of Nigel yesterday. Anyway...

I was down in the Smoky Mtns with some friends on our annual pilgrimage. Me and another friend were on the Cherohala, where corners are generally sweepy and speeds are high. We were having a good time, while riding well within ourselves and having a bit of a conversation on our helmet comms, when we came upon a car. My buddy, who was on a Tuono got around safely and cleanly, but right before enough of a curve that I waited for better lines of sight. A few seconds later, I dropped a couple gears and just about twisted the throttle off the bar. As I'm making the pass I hear my buddy over the induction roar say, "there's Nigel."

Okay, maybe you needed to be there. ;)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thanks @Kraxmel looks really good.

Question. It looks like the horn is facing backwards. Wouldn't it had been better if it was facing forward with the same angle as the original? Did you put it this was to keep it dry?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
Yes, exactly. It's facing backwards in case I get caught in the rain. But, it is pointed slightly down, so hopefully the sound will bounce off the ground... not that it's needed... it's VERY loud. If someone doesn't hear it, they're deaf! :)

EDIT: Also, because of the radiator hose and needing room for the air line, the horn had to be at an angle and facing it forward would make it even easier for water to get in there. (hopefully that makes sense)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
First, let me explain that I dubbed my bike Nigel. It's more than a bit tongue in cheek, and chosen because a) people who name their bikes always give it a female name, and b) Nigel is a common enough name in Great Britain that those Aussies use it as a bit of a slur. Besides, I always get a bit of a chuckle whenever the faces of people who don't me hear me say, "man, I rode the s**t out of Nigel yesterday. Anyway...

I was down in the Smoky Mtns with some friends on our annual pilgrimage. Me and another friend were on the Cherohala, where corners are generally sweepy and speeds are high. We were having a good time, while riding well within ourselves and having a bit of a conversation on our helmet comms, when we came upon a car. My buddy, who was on a Tuono got around safely and cleanly, but right before enough of a curve that I waited for better lines of sight. A few seconds later, I dropped a couple gears and just about twisted the throttle off the bar. As I'm making the pass I hear my buddy over the induction roar say, "there's Nigel."

Okay, maybe you needed to be there. ;)
You're probably right, but pretty impressive that he heard your bike coming... assuming from a little bit back.

I did get a kick out of you "riding the s**t out of Nigel", LOL

I can never come up with a name for my bike (motorized or otherwise) or cars.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts