Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I've been lurking for almost a year. I have an '06 Thruxton and I have found some great information on here! Love the bike!

It is time for a new rear tire and I'm wondering if anyone has run a 140 demon sport with the stock front? How did it work? The front tire still has a lot left, so I don't want to replace both, so would I be better off sticking with the stock rear also? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Don't mix tires front to rear.
Keep em stock or change them both.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. Can you elaborate? Have you tried the combination and it didn't work for you?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Don't mix tires front to rear.
Keep em stock or change them both.
I've heard that but I've seen dudes use different stuff all the time . Dunlop in front , Metzler in the back . Avon rear with Shinko front , etc . No problems with them . But IMHO it's like wearing a Dr. Marten boot on your right and Redwing on your left . Looks goofy but they're both boots. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Main idea is not to EVER mix radial and bias plys. Just say no.

I run a sport compound tire on the front, and a sport touring on the rear. Works great for longevity, event wear-out, and my style of riding. Have mixed Avons and Pirellis, Contis, and Michelins without a problem, but these have always been sport and sport touring types.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Interesting. I thought the Z2 and Z4 had been discontinued years ago, but it looks like they still offer a few. I thought they were running Lazertecs on the twins. Lazertecs are bias ply, and Z2s are radials.

This from the Dunlop site:

"Bias and radial tires have significantly different dynamic properties. They deflect differently, create different cornering forces, have different damping characteristics, as well as other differences. In order for radial tires to be introduced into the two-wheel market, it was necessary to change certain characteristics of the motorcycle. The introduction of the radial tire led to such things as modified frames, new steering geometries and suspensions. Therefore, it is recommended that a motorcycle be used with the type of tire construction that it came with originally. If a change is to be made, then it should only be done if the motorcycle or tire manufacturer has approved the change. Above all, do not mix bias ply and radial tires on the same motorcycle unless it is with the approval of the motorcycle or tire manufacturer."

Due to the dynamic properties of the different tire designs, this could result in one tire breaking loose before the other. If in fact Triumph is mixing the two, it may be acceptable to do this in the same configuration. In all cases, the bias should always be up-front, and the radial on the rear. Some cruisers do come with a radial on the rear, and a bias ply up front. I personally would not ever do this on my bikes.

More info:
http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/infocenter_faq.asp?id=2

http://www.michelinag.com/agx/en-US/products/advantages/bias_radial/bias_radial.jsp

·
Registered
709 Posts
Me old Dad taught me to;
Always buy good tools,
Vote the straight Republican ticket,
And;
Never mix bias and radial.
Imagine my surprise when the Thrux came with bias front/ radial rear from the factory! Whiskey Tango Fox?
The Metz's weren't dangerous, but they always felt a bit tentative, and the rear would sometimes step out without much warning on power application out of a corner. Let's face it, even with the mods, the Thrux doesn't have THAT much power. A bit squirrely in the wet, too.
I mounted Pirelli Sport Demons (stock sizes) at about 9000, and the handling improved all out of recognition.
Best,
Redhawk

·
Registered
398 Posts
i run a 140 sport demon rear with a stock size sport demon front. i hear that it isn't a good idea to mix and match brands/models but i don't know exactly why.

fyi.....originally when i went up in size in the rear i also went up in size in the front and i'm here to tell you that was a bad move. bike handled like a truck so definitely don't do that when it is time for front tire.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My dad never told me about voting but he did say if it flies,floats or fu##s , rent it...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts