Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Uploading the video as we speak! Install was pretty straight forward, although the instructions were a bit lacking...

2 bolts and a clamp, is all that is required to remove the stock can. Installing the new one required a little bit of fiddling, but once you figure out the angles to orient it, it bolts right up. I took out the dB killer, and it is LOUD. The weather is crap so I can't really get out and ride it, but its bordering on too loud... that said, my Tuono V4 1100rr was stupid loud as well. I wish I had an actual dB meter, but I would guess that it's close to the Aprilia, but a lot higher pitched.

Nice rumble at Idle, but when whack the throttle, it barks! It's a bit louder than the Yosh Alpha T, but that pipe is pretty loud as well.

My big question will be how it changes the fueling. I wont know till I ride it, or better yet, get it on the dyno. My tuner isn't available right now, but my Triumph dealer has a dyno and he can run it for AFR. It's a Factory Pro, so reads about 15% lower HP than a Dynojet unit does... But for AFR it' measure spot on so I can make sure I am not dangerously lean anywhere. If it is, he can tune it with TuneECU, as he tunes all the Triumphs that way...

I will test it out and if it is too loud, I may put the dB killer back in and see if that hurts performance. If it does, I may just go back to stock.

As soon as the video uploads and processes, I will post it... Let me know your thoughts.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, the Yosh is on the 18, the Delkavic is on the 2020. The difference is that one is Euro4 and the 2020 is Euro5... My concern is the latter being a bit leaner to begin with... I will say though, that while the mouth of the muffler looks gigantic, the actual core of the muffler is a tad narrower and more restrictive than the Yoshi, plus the link pipe on the Yoshi is shorter and straight, as opposed to the loopty-loop of the Delkavic... so maybe it is fine with the stock fueling

·
Registered
19 Posts
I wish I knew more about fuel mapping. I took manufacturer word for it that a tune was not required. Tail tidy is my next tweek

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know how to map fuel and tune a bike, but I need to see a run to know what to change, if anything.

My thought is that while it is Euro5, the stock map is made to work with the Arrow slipon with the dB killer removed, so there should be enough adjustment range to run the slipon within a safe range. I am not worried about every last drop of power, as much as I am about there being no dips in power or AFR's that could do any harm. I don't expect there to be, but its nice to make sure...

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, it's killing me that I can't get a break in the weather to go see how it is to ride... I have the new pipe, new windscreen and the -1 front sprocket and I haven't been able to try any of them out. Been raining or even snowing for a week now, with no real end in sight... Very frustrating!

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am gonna make a new sound clip video with the GoPro and see if the audio comes out better, and I will do both of the bikes so you can hear the 2018 with the Yosh vs the 2020 with the Delkevic, letting both warm up so that I can safely rev the crap out of them... I am OCD about not revving a cold motor... haha

·
Registered
104 Posts
Your weather is killing me as well, I’m itching to hear how those changes feel cause I want to do all of them if they are good.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks Squire. Watched your video last night and Im surprised at the quality of those Delkevics given how cheap they are. They are definitely a steal if they dont produce any negative effects.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is a better sound comparison of both bikes back to back.

I also managed to go for a ride... and I came home and put the stock can back on for now. I am about to jump into a meeting, but I will come back and explain later...

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, so the reason I went back to the stock can...

I felt like it lost power. Bummed me out, but it felt a bit weaker, and that was with the -1 front sprocket for the first time! Also, it was loud. REALLY loud.

So I went back to stock, and will wait until I can get it on a dyno, and see what's up. Maybe it was perception... or maybe these Euro5 motors are borderline lean from the factory and a wide open slipon leans it out too much and hurts torque...

If you have a 2017-2019 model, go for it, you will be fine. The Euro4 motors don't seem to have any issues with slipons and fueling...

When it goes on the dyno, I can get a baseline run with the stock can, and then we can turn it off, swap out the muffler and rerun it... we can also try with the dB killer in and out and see what it does.

From there we can decide if it is a simple fueling issue, and either see if these new bikes can be tuned on TuneECU yet, or if I can get a PC-V and O2 eliminators and just remap the whole bike... It will depend on the baseline runs, if we feel it can be corrected and if it is worth the cost of doing that...

If not, I can just sell the the kit for like half of what I paid to someone with a Euro4 version of the Street 765 that won't have an issue. We put the Yosh on my wife's 2018 and the fueling was great on the dyno, no issues at all...

·
Registered
83 Posts
thats a bummer. Still interested to see what you are able to find out on a dyno though. How was the sound though? besides just the volume of it? Going off the video..Im not sure that I prefer the way it sounds over stock personally. I know that recording exhaust audio on just about anything seems to be a bit of a crap shoot in terms of actually capturing the noise accurately though.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My wife said it sounded great, she heard me for like a mile... LOL

But to me it sounded a bit higher pitch and a little raspy... Now, I am used to a cam'd and tuned Street Twin and the V4 Tuono, so my perception might be partly due to that...

If I didn't feel like it lost power, I would have kept it and just gotten used to the pitch... but when the stock pipe soundsas good as it goes, I couldn't justify taking the chance of it making less torque... so I can live with stock for now until we get it on the dyno and see what's up...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Considering that one of the (few) major changes going from 17-19 to 2020 was a completely new exhaust system including an additional catalytic converter in the muffler. Using an exhaust made for one model on the other without at least remapping was always going to be a no go.

Edit: I think you also need to put this information in your Youtube video descriptions. Otherwise people are going to see them and think it's fine to swap exhausts between the two.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, I will go and add that to the details. The thing is, I don't KNOW that it lost any power... I am sorta waiting on the dyno to see what the deal is... But I can add that in there...

I mean, if you install the Arrow slipon from Triumph... that ditches the second CAT the same way any other exhaust would... So this might be in my head...

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The other thing that occurs to me, is that if I just want it a bit louder, I can always remove the second CAT from the muffler. When you take the muffler off, on the side where it connects to the header/collector pipe... it's right there, you could easily drill or use a large chisel and hammer to cut up and remove the pieces... Might take an hour as the CATs tend to be pretty tough, but it wouldn't be hard at all...

I feel like you could change the sound a bit, but not alter the flow all that much because it will still have the stock baffling and chambers and stuff in that muffler...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just a quick ride to the Triumph dealer so that you can hear how it sounds down the road... Should sound the same for any Street 765...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts