Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wondered what the normal delivery time is for a new bike. I put a deposit down on the 14th April and its still not here. Now when I ordered it, he said he had put a couple of fake orders in the weeks before, so that they where already in production for delivery.

So how long does it normaly take? (no how long is a piece of string answers!!).

How long did you wait for your new bike?

TVM

·
30,533 Posts
Mine was in stock. It took a week for them to put it together and add some accessories - most of that was waiting for the accessories to be delivered, and that was fine because I couldn't go down and pick it up before the week was up anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I've just been on to the factory and they have my order but reckon it will be end of June/July.

This has pissed me off no end, as it will ruin my plans for the Summer and means I will possible have to get the first service done in another country.:shocked:

Or if its that late, take the bloody Honda away with me for two months and I don't like the riding positon. Plus the bike is being taken in on the part exchange and we just know something is bound to happen to it.

Signed

Disgruntled of Oxford.

Maybe I should cancel the order and go with BMW

·
Registered
964 Posts
They're built/assembled in England and the dealer is quoting you a lead time of 2 to 3 months? And he says he's had to put in fake orders to insure that he has bikes to sell? It sounds to me like the dealer is some sort of hole-in-the-wall outfit, robbing Peter to pay Paul. In your situation I'd be looking for a new dealer. Even if you have to travel, look for one that has them IN STOCK; they've gotta be out there somewhere. Working with a dealer can be frustrating. When I bought mine, hassles with the salesman made me threaten to just go buy a Jap bike or a Harley. Of course at this point, I'm glad I didn't. The BMW's are good touring bikes (so I understand), but the Bonnevilles are the "best bang for the buck". Maintenance will be cheaper in the long run. Good Luck, tell us how you do.--------James.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Not bad when I bought mine in 2007. Dealer quoted 2 weeks, 3-4 days of that was 'dealer' time to prep the bike,register & tax it. They even phoned me a couple of days after I ordered it to confirm order had been placed and it was in stock at the factory. They kept to that so I was pleased.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Oh my heck, that is brutal. My dealer has three sitting on the showroom floor and a few more in the crates in the back.

Surely another dealer must have some sitting on the floor? Heck you are in England and there are plenty of dealers. Maybe your dealer can make a few calls for you.

Be thankful it wasn't a S3 they had almost a year wait time for a while.

Sorry about your wait Rose. :(

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The dealer had put in a few fake orders, so that if anyone wanted a bike, the wait wouldn't be quite so long!!(like that worked). He knew that there would probably be a high demand for the bikes.

The guy at Hinkley when I phoned, confirmed they had recieved my order and told me the wait time!! He said that by the end of the week he might have some news. As they had been in touch with Germany, Italy etc to see if they could get some of the bikes back as they are selling faster in the UK, they can't actualy keep up with the demand.

Don't really think there is a lot I can do about it, but its going to mess my plans up. I phoned my dealer who couldn't believe that Hinckley had actualy told me what it had. He said leave it with him and he would see what he could do.

Still terribly disapointed as I was actualy hoping to have the bike for a long weekend end of May to get my 500 miles under my belt and then the bike serviced and ready for two months in France.

As my 14 yr old lad says "Oh well, wotcha gonna do"!!

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Sorry to hear that - it is pish poor - my pal got his Scram a week after ordering, which is how it should be. There is loads of stock around sitting on dealer floors but - THERE IS VERY LITTLE IF ANY INTER DEALER TRADING (according to my dealer). You want to bite the bullet and tell your dealer - sorry I need it now, not in July, and I very much regret I need to cancel unless..........you can get me it in ten days time. Consumer power:D You have nowt to lose by asking.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Rose, just curious as to what dealer you have ordered your bike with. I waited a month for mine and got it beginning of April. I think the dealers are getting their demonstrators now as I had a call from one yesterday to say they had their demo in and did I want to book a ride. As for the fake orders I think that is correct as the dealer I bought mine from said he would be quite happy if I cancelled after ordering as it was the only way they could get the bikes in the shop at the time as pre orders had preference over dealer stock bikes even demo bikes, my dealer was a bit of a wheeler dealer though and they have three branches in their chain and mine wasn't the first that they sold.
Hope you get it soon as they are a really nice bike to ride although the rear suspension does need sorting out. I have temporarily improved mine by fitting earlier Bonneville units with the progressive wound springs, I would like to know the reasoning why Triumph have fitted shorter units with less travel and such heavy single rate springs.
Best

·
30,533 Posts
Rose,

I think Sofiaspins advice is sound. Time to get a bit cross with your dealer and go elsewhere if needs be, irritating though that might be. Do not put up with being blown off this way, there are plenty of bikes around.

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll give it a go but don't want it to jump up and bite me in the arse, so to speak. I also don't want to lose the deposit, luckily it was only £250 but still I wouldn't want to lose it.

I'll phone up my second choice dealer today and see what they have to say.

·
30,533 Posts
I understand - but if your dealer can't deliver the bike, they are not entitled to keep your deposit.

I know that it is never that cut and dried when it comes to making the argument face to face with them. Nevertheless, voice your disappointment, and try and get them to make it right.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Give Lings (Norfolk Triumph) 01953 881285 a try, they bend over backwards to help their customers, also Swindon Triumph had some sitting in its show room only a couple of weeks ago, you dealer might be able to 'borrow' from either.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Rose, sorry to hear about your wait. I ordered my black on April 4th, and had it on the 15th, and I'm across the pond. Any chance you could get a demo in the mean time?

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
I thought they only made the Bonneville engines in Hinckley, then shipped them to Thailand for assembly into the frames, etc. Oh well, the saga continues...

+1 on the advice to inquire at another dealer. I went through the same back in '07 - the first one said there was a long, long wait, none available, the second dealer got me one in 4 days from a holding warehouse somewhere in the states.

Could be that the dealer doesn't want to split the profit?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I'll give it a go but don't want it to jump up and bite me in the arse, so to speak. I also don't want to lose the deposit, luckily it was only £250 but still I wouldn't want to lose it.

I'll phone up my second choice dealer today and see what they have to say.

Well Rose.........time to tell us how it went and er, hopefully, having shown you mean business, they have done the business. ??

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Rose,
Since I am in one of the Colonies maybe I should go to my dealer and get one sent over to you. They are about $9500 cdn so that is 5300 pounds sterling. Plus shipping.

Do you want a Green and Opal T100, a Black, a White or a SE?

lol - we do what we can. :)

Seriously I agree with Sofia and I would get on the phone and start calling dealers in the area to see what they have.

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I phoned and had a chat today, said it wasn't good enough. It was mucking up my plans and that I would have to look else where.

He was really aplogetic and said leave it with him!! he has another woman who has ordered one. I said, but my order was in first, so I will see what happens.

I tried my second choice but they hadn't turned off the answer manchine from the holiday weekend, so no one answered.

It goes from bad to worse!!

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Sorry to hear this and sorry........but what has 'another woman' got to do with it? I thought sexism was dead if not dying. Give them the three line whip and say it is all over unless you get it by next weekend. Grrrrr!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts