Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Upon recently moving to Tampa, Florida, I discovered what few curves there are down here are usually separated by very long stretches of very straight, very flat roads.Now I need new donuts. I feel as if the Michelin Pilot Powers currently mounted have been completely wasted. The front has worn OK, but the back is worn far more in the center than on the edges at 3500 miles.

Can anyone please suggest a tire that can double that mileage and hold the rounded profile longer? A move towards long wear without giving up too much grip.

Thanks

·
Registered
936 Posts
Mmmm, Most sports tyres will square off in the centre pretty quick on straight stretches of road, I haven't tried them myself but Pilot Roads might suit you better.

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
I've run two sets of Roads, one set of Avon's Storm STs (on the second set now), one set of Conti Road Attacks, and the original Bridgestones. For wear, the Michelins have been the best so far.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Try the Pilot Power Dual compound. A little harder in the center so the tread will last longer there. And for the record....has anybody ever seen tires that were evenly worn? except race takeoffs ofcourse.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I'm on my third set of Road Attacks & have gotten close to 6k on all of them.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a 675, have ran Pirelli Corsa 3s, Conti Road Attacks, and Pilot Road 2s.

The Road Attacks ran for about 9000 miles before I swapped out the rear (no cords showing yet, but no treads at all). The Pilot Road II has 9000+ miles and still going strong...

If you have the cash, get the Pilot Road II.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Go with the Pilot Road 2...

Mine copes with 90% commuting, 10% scratching with no loss of performance in the twisties.. Still looking pretty good after 8k+ on this one.. :cool:

·
Registered
16 Posts
donuts, hoops and other round things

Pilot Powers are great tyres for the bendy bits, but it sounds like there aren't too any of those in your neck of the woods.

I've been running Pilot Roads front and rear for about 12000kM (7500miles) and there's still life left in them...not much...but still legal:rolleyes:

I used to run a Power on the front and a Road on the rear which also was good, but occasionally it just felt wrong because of the different tracking of the different profiles. Still managed to get 14000kM (8750 miles) out of both.

·
Premium Member
17,479 Posts
Are all these Michelin comments about the dual compound tires? I'm on Pilot Power 2CTs. It took a trip to Idaho and back to put a square center on them. They haven't quite made it to 5000 miles for me, though. I'm thinking of trying some Bridgestones next; I loved their sport touring tires on the YZF600R I used to have in my pre-enlightenment days.

·
Registered
16 Posts
rubber for HiDesert

No mate

I'm running the original single compound Pilot Roads, and the Powers were also the single compound variety.

Been thinking about getting Pilot Road 2's in the next month or so, lots of good reports about them.:cool:

·
Registered
16 Posts
To HiDesert

Mate I just had a set of Pilot Road 2 fitted a week ago, and they're awesome. Absolutely confidence inspiring from the first turn. Obviously I can't say what they'll wear like, but I'll let you know as time progresses.;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Got myself a set of Bridgestone BT016s a week ago. Front is dual compound, back is triple. The type of rubber ranges from Bridgestone's regular road in the center to 002RS racing rubber on the edges and cost me $230 a set. These are pretty new to the market so there aren't many pro reviews but initial amateur tests claim ~5K+ miles of good road carving till reaching the worn out markers, ~6.5K till shot. Although it depends on how much highway time you're planning to do, they seem to handle squaring pretty well. I'll come back with initial impressions after mother nature stops being a ****, with all this snow in the NE, and let's me mount the tires and get some riding time in (sometime this week).

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Since you don't have many curves, I would go for a Pilot Road or something like that. Unfortunately, you are in a dilemma.

You could move here to So Cal. Lots of curves.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts