Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I've got this odd problem on my 2005 1050. When I push the starter button there is a short (half second) delay before it will crank the motor. Is this normal?
Just last night it didn't turn the motor over at all, so I turned it on and off again, flicked the stand up and down and after a few tries it did turn over but after a delay.

I'm not sure whether they all have a delay or not, and if they don't what to look for. When it turns over, it fires up right away. The bike's got a new stator, RR, and battery. It's charging well, and apart from this strange starting delay is running well.

Thanks for any replies

GC

·
Registered
889 Posts
I'd try taking the starter button apart (carefully, tiny parts inside) and cleaning first. In my 2005 this issue has popped up a coupla times over the years. Between the clutch switch, starter button, ECU relay, sidestand switch and block ground - an hour or so with hand tools, emery cloth and contact cleaner takes care of if.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, cool, thanks for the reply. -It's kinda helpful knowing that it's a thing. Weird.
Did you manage to take the clutch and side-stand switch apart then?
Also, where's the ECU relay and the block ground? Thanks Surya :)

·
Registered
889 Posts
Been a while but ya the clutch switch does come apart, the sidestand switch I don't recall. The ECU relay is on the under seat fuse/relay board. The main ground wire mounts to the top of the block below the rear of the air filter box. More generally if you can get to these switch/lead contacts, squirt some cleaner in and exercise or scrape them you should see results. I'd coat in electrical grease after resolving to hold off corrosion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts