Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
On 2006-04-14 07:50, vol245 wrote:
Wouldn't your horn have scared them off too? I like a bike to sound like a bike, but find straight pipes to be too loud.
You'd have to see them in time to sound your horn.

He's not running straight pipes, that'd just be rude. :wink:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Has anyone tried one of these Hornet Electronic Deer Avoidance Systems? Several Harley Dealers apparently carry them, and there is lots of positive feedback on several websites-they do not rely on the wind like the whistles, which do not work according to a whole bunch of well done tests. A chrome hornet system with motorcyle wiring costs about $75.00, It might be worth it. Maybe Brent can give us some input

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
The "silent" deer deterent systems have been discounted by numerous rating agencies, as well as the Dept. of Natural Resources here in Minnesota. Loudish pipes, horns a blaring MAY help, but probably not. As has been stated, deer are dumb, they do inexplicable things around and on roads. Don't anthropomorphise. They're wee stupid beasties. Not Bambi. Ride at dusk and dawn with a very sharp eye.

They're becoming urban rats, moving into the suburbs and even urban areas of cities. Hey, they're cute, they're just trying to survive, like all of us; but they don't intermix well will bikes and cars on the roads. Be careful out there.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
On 2006-04-14 18:37, MA0458 wrote:
Hey, Hunter Valley Red, you bring it! VA Chard, Cab Franc, Riesling - my treat!

:pkit:
Some kind of code?? I do know a Riesling is a machine gun-are you having a shoot?? Deer?? Love to see that!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I was riding a BMW R75/6 when a running deer came flying out of the woods and hit me broad side. I went down hard and messed up the bike pretty bad, and I got some road rash. I was lucky, Watching for deer sometimes ain't enough. I had a deer alert on the bike that didn't help a bit.

[ This message was edited by: r80rt on 2006-04-23 06:46 ]

B

·
0 Posts
Headed north on Hiway 35 near Centre Alabama one Sunday morning on my '05 America, clocking about 75 when what I thought was a large Turkey just on the outside of the white line (on my side). I hit the stock horn, and the ***** thing jumped strait up and unfurled like a 11 foot wingspan directly in front of me. All I could do was duck, creating an extreme "near miss" that I'm sure created quite a show for the moron in the F-150 driving close behind me. Needless to say, it was'nt a turkey, but a feeding adult Vulture snacking on fresh road kill..... I now cruise much slower on secluded mountain roads....ya never know.....

21 - 26 of 26 Posts