Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 10 happy years owning a Tiger 800 decided to swap it for a new T120 Bonnie in March last year(2021). Finding it very hard to love the Bonnie so want to swap back to a Tiger. Advice needed which of the road based versions to go for. - TIGER 660 SPORT, TIGER 850 SPORT or TIGER 900 GT and maybe a Low version of the 900. Used models could also be considered.
Normally travel 2 up and hoping to get back touring into Europe again when Covid eases up.
Love to hear what others have gone for and if others are still thinking.

·
Registered
Sprint RS
5 Posts
After 10 happy years owning a Tiger 800 decided to swap it for a new T120 Bonnie in March last year(2021). Finding it very hard to love the Bonnie so want to swap back to a Tiger. Advice needed which of the road based versions to go for. - TIGER 660 SPORT, TIGER 850 SPORT or TIGER 900 GT and maybe a Low version of the 900. Used models could also be considered.
Normally travel 2 up and hoping to get back touring into Europe again when Covid eases up.
Love to hear what others have gone for and if others are still thinking.
Having seen the new 1200, i would have that, looks a lot slimmer than the old model and about 60lbs lighter. worth a test ride,gotabe.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Called in at my local dealers today and more or less made my mind up for the Tiger GT and not the GT Pro as it's just above my price range. Unfortunately the dealer won't have any in for quite some time and it seems the same for all my local dealers. On the bright side he could get me an 850 sport in about 3 or 4 weeks and would throw in a a set of heated grips for free. So still at decisions decisions??

·
Registered
502 Posts
Called in at my local dealers today and more or less made my mind up for the Tiger GT and not the GT Pro as it's just above my price range. Unfortunately the dealer won't have any in for quite some time and it seems the same for all my local dealers. On the bright side he could get me an 850 sport in about 3 or 4 weeks and would throw in a a set of heated grips for free. So still at decisions decisions??
FYI. You can also add an aftermarket cruise control to the 850 if that helps you make up your mind.

·
Registered
Tiger 900 GT Pro Svartpilen 401
1,112 Posts
Check the specs between the 850 and 900 carefully, especially if you are looking at a lot of two-up riding. The 850 is the same engine capacity but with a lower power tune, and the suspension is very basic.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have the 850, and it is a great bike. The GT adds some nice features, and I think more suspension adjustment options? Can't remember. I don't think the power difference btw the 850 & 900 is relevant, even 2 up.

If you want heated seats or cruise then then get a 900; aftermarket is great, but very expensive. I just use a cramp buster and I'm getting a throttle lock, mostly to play with. I'm one who has not missed cruise, but then again, I've never had it. Check the options and prices, just in case adding the extras you want puts you right up against the cost of the GT Pro. I don't think the 660 will be comfy for touring with two on board. Power, to some extent but I think that the 900 is a more spacious platform to start adding the extra bits onto.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Guys, thanks for all the advice and pleased to let you know my mind is made up for the 900 GT model.
Found the dealer I bought the Bonnie from who had a lovely red one in stock just 30 miles from home. He upped my trade in price by another £100 and agreed to hold the Tiger until 1st March so I could get the new 2022 registration plate. Deposit paid and all set to go. Budget is pretty stretched so any advice on accessories to add would be appreciated. Just a tiny bit sorry to see the Bonnie go after such a short time but can't wait to get the new Here's a pic of my old white Tiger 800 and my Bonnie

Wheel Tire Sky Daytime Vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The new Tiger will be delivered around a week before it goes on the road on 1st March so will post photos then. It's only got to be as good as my old 800, anything better will be a bonus

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I see that your 800 had a center-stand. The GT (unlike the GT Pro) does not come with one, but it is available as an accessory through Triumph.
You are right and the centre stand will be number one to fit. After that I want to look at luggage or maybe adapt my quite new Givi top box and plate as well as givi side cases with a new carrier frame.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Right choice after 20 years riding Honda VFR's decided a change was due

bought a 1200 speedmaster lovely looking bike but hated it no comfort Ok on motorways but living in NZ not the right bile

went back to dealer who had the Tiger 900 low seat Hight as I am a little short in the leg

Absolutely love it , cruise control a great feature , and often ride 2 up and although according to my partner not as comfy as VFR definitely better than Speedmaster

added Bluetooth module (don't bother ) and quick shifter (fantastic ) next to add some spot lights , but Triumph V expensive

you will enjoy the bile when you get it

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had a VFR 800 a few years ago and it was a great toyring bike, swapped it for a Triumph Sprint which was better than the VFR but was quite heavy but very, very quick, swapped that for ny trusty Tiger 800 which diid everythig brilliantly, Started stripping some of my accessories off the Bonnie today ready for refitting to the Tiger GT. Hoping to give the Bonnie a couple of runs before she goes if we get some decent, dry weather. Total miles on the Bonnie is just 3300 so somebody will be getting a just run in bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Almor,

I have a white 2013 Tiger 800 just like your old one.
Still really enjoying it because it fits me so well.
What soured you about the 1200 Bonnie? Curious.

B.
Mpls, Mn

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My 800 was a 2011 model was the reason to change. Thought the Bonnie lookled a good choice but a 4 day trip to Scotland with 4 days of heavy rain the Bonnie had no weather protection and when I got home all the chrome was showing signs of pitting.(poor quality chromework) Didn't like tubed tyres and hated having to remove both exhausts just to adjust the chain. Absolutely no room under the seat for odds and ends. Suspension at front and rear really poor and couldn't see behind as the mirrors did not extend past my shoulders. The brushed aluminium finishes to the engine cases were getting getting rubbed off and scratched by my boots and all this was from day one. I like touring and found the Bonnie is more suited as local runaround at weekends. My old Tiger beat the pants off the Bonnie in every area and I am pretty sure the 900 GT will do the same. Thats why I have taken a big hit on trading it in after 9 months from new just to get back to enjoying riding again.

·
Registered
2016 Thruxton S
211 Posts
I'll will be interested in your impressions of the 900 after having owned an 800. It seems that many find that the 900 carries its weight lower, always a good thing. However, the 900 probably is not as smooth as the 800 due to the crankshaft differences.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts