Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing the Triumph thing for a few years now...Bonnie, 675 & Sprint ST. The Bonnie's gone, the ST will remain in the stable, but, as much as I adore the 675, my 51 year old neck and wrists want something else. (trackdays at Laguna & Button Willow wont be the same w/o it).

Thought I'd go the Ducati route for a change and local dealer has a smoking deal on a new leftover "07 S4R. Rode it and really liked it, but, then also demoed the S3 and really liked it too.....maybe more so. I've given this shop plenty of business for many years and they are also giving a good deal on the S3.

Any ex- S4R folks out there that can help in the decision process.......BTW, doing the 'deal" in a few hours.

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'd be very tempted by the S4R depending on price and color - shoot me I'm vain. Especially if you already have had two Triumph triples.

But I think you would be marginally more comfortable on the S3.

Aw, screw it - buy the Duc if you can handle the maintenance costs and the poser attitude on SOME duc owners. (Most duc guys are cool - but some are tools - as are some Triumph guys).

I know it's sacrilege to say, but the Sprint ST and the Triple would be too similar for me to justify buying the S3. If you didn't have any other Triumphs, I would say go for the Speed Triple but you have those bases covered. So go Italian and get a different riding vibe.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd be very tempted by the S4R depending on price and color - shoot me I'm vain. Especially if you already have had two Triumph triples.

But I think you would be marginally more comfortable on the S3.

Aw, screw it - buy the Duc if you can handle the maintenance costs and the poser attitude on SOME duc owners. (Most duc guys are cool - but some are tools - as are some Triumph guys).

I know it's sacrilege to say, but the Sprint ST and the Triple would be too similar for me to justify buying the S3. If you didn't have any other Triumphs, I would say go for the Speed Triple but you have those bases covered. So go Italian and get a different riding vibe.
You're point is quite valid. However, I have the good fortune of being able to ride my wife's FZ1 and Moto Guzzi Rosso Corsa whenever I want (mostly)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Can you get a good deal on an Aprilia Tuono Factory? :D
I say go with the S3. Duc's really aren't worth the maintenance IMHO. At least a S4R isn't...

·
Registered
440 Posts
You're point is quite valid. However, I have the good fortune of being able to ride my wife's FZ1 and Moto Guzzi Rosso Corsa whenever I want (mostly)
Uhm... can I meet your wife? :)

Some guys have all the luck...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All righty then....done did it. Took them both out for a spin and.......... the Speed Triple is resting comfortably in the garage. Yes, in the garage. Which just sucks because I now have to head out to Asia for 8 days (in about an hour) on business and can only daydream about it till I get back. I did get to put about 70 miles on her before going home to pack and was able to get into the foothills abit (central Calif.).....I think I'll have at least as much fun on the S3 as I did on my 675.

Wifey said she'd do the initial run- in (she knows the proper drill) and get that first service done so when I get back I can immediately start the next run-in stage and get it to where I can start ripping it up !! Dang, this motorcycle feels good. It really does feel different than the ST.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Where do you find these magical women? Is there connecting flight to the land of riding and technically knowledgeable female riders between here and Asia?

All righty then....done did it. Took them both out for a spin and.......... the Speed Triple is resting comfortably in the garage. Yes, in the garage. Which just sucks because I now have to head out to Asia for 8 days (in about an hour) on business and can only daydream about it till I get back. I did get to put about 70 miles on her before going home to pack and was able to get into the foothills abit (central Calif.).....I think I'll have at least as much fun on the S3 as I did on my 675.

Wifey said she'd do the initial run- in (she knows the proper drill) and get that first service done so when I get back I can immediately start the next run-in stage and get it to where I can start ripping it up !! Dang, this motorcycle feels good. It really does feel different than the ST.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Where do you find these magical women? Is there connecting flight to the land of riding and technically knowledgeable female riders between here and Asia?
All that, AND.....her salary is almost the same a mine !! The downside, however, is she's tough nut. A real hard-ass and smarter than me.. But that's OK.....I've always liked that in a woman.

She's been riding since something like 1975. Probably has 200K + miles in the saddle. Done a bunch of trackdays at Laguna Seca. Which she loves to do when I'm travelling.....I think just to piss me off since I can't be there.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Now we know you're lyin'! :D
Congrats on the S3. Mine is 7 days old as of today, and my GF likes it. Although she has a 36 inch inseam (5'9") and does NOT think she'll fit on the back.

You made the right decision (bike). I almost went with the Duc Streetfighter but know I made the right decision. Next bike will be a Ducati "just" cuz but this S3 has not given me one second of buyer's remorse.

Safe riding and travels.

All that, AND.....her salary is almost the same a mine !! The downside, however, is she's tough nut. A real hard-ass and smarter than me.. But that's OK.....I've always liked that in a woman.

She's been riding since something like 1975. Probably has 200K + miles in the saddle. Done a bunch of trackdays at Laguna Seca. Which she loves to do when I'm travelling.....I think just to piss me off since I can't be there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts