Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a day off work today and the weather was okay. Riding home from Stratford to Wellington at night in the cold on The Capital 1000Km Cruise a couple of weeks ago convinced me I should look at a bike with a fairing. So today was the day.

A call was made to Carl at Motorad and he confirmed they had a new Tiger demo and a 2005 Sprint I could ride. This was all part of the next big decision - replace the Speedtriple (S3) with a new one or something different. So far I am not looking past a Triumph triple.

I took out the Tiger first and then the Sprint, with a stop at home for lunch with the Sprint.

Summary: I wouldn't buy a Tiger, I may buy a Sprint and the Speedtriple is an exciting ride.

Notes on the Tiger:
* Comfy seat no discomfort going over bumps.
* Great exhaust sound at lower speeds - burbles, pops, louder than S3
* Screen is not much good - keeps the wind off the chest but noisy at 100kph, buffeting on shoulders. The S3 with just the bug screen is better. There is a touring screen which may be better?
* Good riding position for touring - a good choice for a long distance cruisy ride.
* My legs are too short for this bike - I just don't feel comfortable stopping and starting off and parking it. It wouldn't be long before I dropped it while parking up.
* Suspension is bouncy - don't like it.
* Can't get used to the look.

Notes on Sprint ST
The test bike was a 2005 and the new ones have higher bars and screen. So I had to consider the differences to a new model.
* Comfy seat no discomfort going over bumps. Could ride on this all day
* Can't hear the exhaust around town - still got the triple sound when opened up.
* Screen seems okay - no buffeting at lower speeds and is probably as good as it gets at higher speeds. The screen on the SV1000s I had worked well - something Suzuki got right.
* I like the riding position and didn't have trouble with wrists or hands. Seat height allows me to put my feet down and feel totally in control.
* Suspension seems okay - the bike turns well and it didn't take me long to get used to the narrower bars from the S3 and Tiger.
* The motor runs well at low revs (2000 - 2500) at round town speeds. This bike is easy to ride slowly as I tested on a gentle cruise around the Southern Coast road.
* Overall a bike I would like to own.

The Sprint is much more sedate than the S3 and easy to just poodle along on. This lack of 'easy to ride slow' was what I didn't like about the SV1000s - it just wanted to go faster. The triple is what makes the Sprint such a nice bike - without the triple power plant would it be just some other sports tourer?

However, the S3 still rocks. It is more responsive to throttle, sounds great and is exhilarating to ride. The sensible choice is the Sprint. I think the only color I will consider is the Phantom Black - have yet to see a Sprint in this color.

When they get a new Sprint I will have a look at it. During this southern summer the S3 will more than satisfy. Then it will be a tough decision - I can only justify owning one bike. Any thoughts appreciated.

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
Welcome

Hi and welcome Dennis,
you will find this is user friendly and helpful forum.:)

Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself and the link to your blog is good too. Thank you:)

You have pretty well summed up the basic differences in the machines.

I wouldn't be putzing around too much though at 2000rpm as these triples really do like to rev. Having said that you are correct they do pull from around 2000 without shaking apart.

The Sprint offers average wet weather protection, a lot depends on your size / shape and all that rot.

When you get to ride a newer one you will notice the fuelling has improved a bit.

We ask all noobs to please read our forum stickies so I will ask you to as well please.

Enjoy the forum Dennis.

cheers,
DaveM

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
Welcome Dennis... The S3 is a magnificent bike no argument. Personally I prefer the Tiger over the Sprint. I think it much more comfortable and the suspension can be dialled in to make the twisties more enjoyable :D

As you found it is the most comfortable of the trio of 1050 models and that goes a long way with me as well.

Whatever you get, enjoy the 1050 motor and just ride ;)

Russ

·
Registered
503 Posts
Welcome Dennis! I test rode a S3 during a Triumph demo day at my dealer and loved it. I have ridden 24+K on the Sprint and think it is a great bike. I think it all comes down to what type of riding you do. If your blasting around town and in the mountains, the S3 answers the call. For me, with a couple of long trips a year and a lot of highway riding, the Sprint can't be beat. Good luck with your decision and keep us posted.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you love the Triumph Triple powerplant and want a full fairing, the Sprint is your only opion... BUT, there is nothing like the feel of a naked power hooligan....... I say add the Sprint, and keep your S3. I think you will regret going to the Sprint as your only bike if you are that attached to the S3.

I learned long ago that a single bike cant meet all my needs. Well, that is not true, when MY XS11 was younger, I had it set up in such a way that in 15-20 minutes I could attach the Rifle 3/4 fairing, Touring Seat and Saddle bags for long trips or cool weather. But when I retired the XS, and started in a full faired sport tourer, I MISSED the feel of the wind and thug nature of a naked bike, and ended up putting it back on the road. I also have several other classic UJM's, but none with the performance that the XS gave. I'm thinking you may feel the same, so IF you can afford to keep 2 bikes, go for it, you wont be sorry!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Windy City

Dennis you need a fairing just to walk around in that city.

I just came back from there and wondered how the bike riders handled the constant wind .

Go the sprint , turn the rear hub 180' that will lower it a bit , drop the front the same as rear. Put an lsl kit on it and get some S3 bars .

A taller touring screen works well ,a must for Wellinton , new pipes with some roar in them and you end up with a nice all round fun bike .

Ed :cool:

·
Registered
944 Posts
I have both the S3 and Sprint. As someone mentioned, each scratches a different itch.

I commute daily on the Sprint, and find it does an excellent job. I swapped out the '06 with the higher '07 bars, and welcome the improved bar hieght. On hindsight, I would have just gone with the GenMar risers, as I have ABS (without the Triumph game boy, you can't bleed the ABS system), so it cost me a few ton from the dealership to install.

About the only bike I'd replace the Sprint for was if Triumph came out with a new SportTOURING ride, like the Trophy with shaft drive. Not that Sprint isn't a good touring bike (it is), I just feel I'd rather have a more touring purposed bike, as I rarely use the Sport of the Sprint, in favor of the S3. That and having shaft would minimize some maintenence my 70 mile commutes seem to rack up.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Dennis,

I am in the same boat in that I cannot afford two bikes, much less the dozen I want.:D I currently own an 06 Sprint.

I'd personally love to have an S3 or something similar and a more dedicated and comfortable touring bike. If in fact I could do this, I'd probably ditch the Sprint. My thinking is that if you're going to have two or more, have them be way different. But as someone above said, it really does depend on the type of riding you do. Since I can only afford one, I pick the Sprint because I can go the distance as well as have fun in the mountains locally. Just one caveat though. If I get caught by strong wind blasts perpendicular to the fairing, it's pretty scary and the bike moves around a lot. There are several threads on this if you do a search on "wind."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts