Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm your latest noob. Been a long-time rider, located in Southern California. I've always wanted a Bonneville, and the stars are lining up. I'm selling one of my bikes to make room and free up the cash.

I'm looking at two clean, low mileage T100s. One is a 2010, the other a 2012. Condition being equal, would you guys recommend one over the other based on one year being more reliable/trouble free than the other? Visually, I see that the 2010 has a mechanical odometer vs the 2012 being digital.

Thanks for your help, and I look forward to becoming a Bonneville owner!

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
As far as reliability, I'd say they're both the same. However you bring up a good point regarding the odo. I believe if the 2010 is mechanical and the 2012 LCD, and if you plan on putting any aftermarket instruments, I'd say get the 2010; this would allow you to swap out the tach/speedo without an expensive work-around. But if you're not, I guess it would boil down to color preference and which one you like better.

Here's a thread discussing the Can-bus issue on later model bikes.

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/240550-does-changing-speedo-mean-chop-chop-factory-wiring.html

·
Registered
968 Posts
I'd pick based on the number of miles and the price. If the 2012 is lower mileage and similar price, I'd go with the 2012. If the 2012 is a grand higher and worse mileage, I'd probably pick the 2010. When you go to trade or sell, both age and miles will be used against you. Pick the bike that will be easier to move later.

Both bikes are made in Thailand, both EFI, and they share many common parts. I think there is little to choose between them, except for miles and price.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the replies. Working on price and color decision... 2010 green/cream vs 2012 all black. Both are same miles. Not likely changing clocks, but like the idea of simpler electronics.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Black is faster, black is newer, and as it turns out, black is cheaper. The owner of the 2010 wouldn't budge on price, the owner of the 2012 just made me a deal I can't refuse. So, looks like I'll be the owner of a 2012 black with 900 miles on the clock.

I already have a bunch of questions, so please stand by to help me out!

Thanks, gang, I can't wait to get my hands on it. Waiting till after Christmas - family comes first, the bike can wait till after.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts